Girl Poems - Poems For Girl - To A Highland Girl (At Inversneyde, Upon Loch Lomond)
Poems about girl. You can read the best girl poems. Browse through all girl poems.
To A Highland Girl (At Inversneyde, Upon Loch Lomond) - Poem by William Wordsworth
. Sweet Highland Girl, a very shower
Of beauty is thy earthly dower!
Twice seven consenting years have shed
Their utmost bounty on thy head:
And these grey rocks; that household lawn;
Those trees, a veil just half withdrawn;
This fall of water that doth make
A murmur near the silent lake;
This little bay; a quiet road
That holds in shelter thy Abode--
In truth together do ye seem
Like something fashioned in a dream;
Such Forms as from their covert peep
When earthly cares are laid asleep!
But, O fair Creature! in the light
Of common day, so heavenly bright,
I bless Thee, Vision as thou art,
I bless thee with a human heart;
God shield thee to thy latest years!
Thee, neither know I, nor thy peers;
And yet my eyes are filled with tears.
With earnest feeling I shall pray
For thee when I am far away:
For never saw I mien, or face,
In which more plainly I could trace
Benignity and home-bred sense
Ripening in perfect innocence.
Here scattered, like a random seed,
Remote from men, Thou dost not need
The embarrassed look of shy distress,
And maidenly shamefacedness:
Thou wear'st upon thy forehead clear
The freedom of a Mountaineer:
A face with gladness overspread!
Soft smiles, by human kindness bred!
And seemliness complete, that sways
Thy courtesies, about thee plays;
With no restraint, but such as springs
From quick and eager visitings
Of thoughts that lie beyond the reach
Of thy few words of English speech:
A bondage sweetly brooked, a strife
That gives thy gestures grace and life!
So have I, not unmoved in mind,
Seen birds of tempest-loving kind--
Thus beating up against the wind.
What hand but would a garland cull
For thee who art so beautiful?
O happy pleasure! here to dwell
Beside thee in some heathy dell;
Adopt your homely ways, and dress,
A Shepherd, thou a Shepherdess!
But I could frame a wish for thee
More like a grave reality:
Thou art to me but as a wave
Of the wild sea; and I would have
Some claim upon thee, if I could,
Though but of common neighbourhood.
What joy to hear thee, and to see!
Thy elder Brother I would be,
Thy Father--anything to thee!
Now thanks to Heaven! that of its grace
Hath led me to this lonely place.
Joy have I had; and going hence
I bear away my recompense.
In spots like these it is we prize
Our Memory, feel that she hath eyes:
Then, why should I be loth to stir?
I feel this place was made for her;
To give new pleasure like the past,
Continued long as life shall last.
Nor am I loth, though pleased at heart,
Sweet Highland Girl! from thee to part;
For I, methinks, till I grow old,
As fair before me shall behold,
As I do now, the cabin small,
The lake, the bay, the waterfall;
And thee, the spirit of them all!
Comments about To A Highland Girl (At Inversneyde, Upon Loch Lomond) by William Wordsworth
Poems About Girl
- 1. A Crazed Girl , William Butler Yeats
- 2. Always Marry An April Girl , Ogden Nash
- 3. Advice To A Girl , Sara Teasdale
- 4. A Girl , Ezra Pound
- 5. A Little Girl Lost , William Blake
- 6. Quiet Girl , Langston Hughes
- 7. Girl In A Miniskirt Reading The Bible Ou.. , Charles Bukowski
- 8. A Brown Girl Dead , Countee Cullen
- 9. There Is A Girl Inside , Lucille Clifton
- 10. The Little Girl Lost , William Blake
- 11. Dream Girl , Carl Sandburg
- 12. Girl In Love , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 13. The Little Girl Found , William Blake
- 14. This Girl , Julie Bond
- 15. The Girl I Used To Be , Pia Andersson
- 16. The Goose-Girl , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 17. A Stranded Girl On A Friday Night , Uriah Hamilton
- 18. Bird Girl , s./j. goldner
- 19. The Right Girl For Me , Ernestine Northover
- 20. The Whistling Girl , Dorothy Parker
- 21. There Was A Little Girl , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 22. For A Naughty Little Girl , Ann Taylor
- 23. Our Hired Girl , James Whitcomb Riley
- 24. A Little Girl Lost , Uriah Hamilton
- 25. Poem Of Remembrance For A Girl Or A Boy , Walt Whitman
- 26. A Girl Sang A Song , Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
- 27. Sparrow, The Special Delight Of My Girl , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 28. A Cowherding Girl , Mirabai
- 29. A Greek Girl , Amy Levy
- 30. The Romany Girl , Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 31. The Half-Breed Girl , Duncan Campbell Scott
- 32. How A Little Girl Danced , Vachel Lindsay
- 33. Flavius’s Girl: To Flavius , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 34. Little Girl , Lauren White
- 35. Girl-Gladness , Zora Bernice May Cross
- 36. About The Little Girl That Beat Her Sister , Ann Taylor
- 37. To A Young Girl , William Butler Yeats
- 38. How A Little Girl Sang , Vachel Lindsay
- 39. Home Truths For Varus’s Girl: To Varus , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 40. To A Highland Girl (At Inversneyde, Upon.. , William Wordsworth
- 41. That Pretty Girl , Kobayashi Issa
- 42. ! ! Where Do You Go, Girl? , Michael Shepherd
- 43. The Bush Girl , Henry Lawson
- 44. The Girl Inside , Michelle Guza
- 45. Ode To The Only Girl , John Williams
- 46. A Girl Will Kiss Me , Uriah Hamilton
- 47. A Letter From A Girl To Her Own Old Age , Alice Meynell
- 48. The Negro Girl , Mary Darby Robinson
- 49. His Gippsland Girl , William Henry Ogilvie
- 50. To A Little Girl That Has Told A Lie , Ann Taylor
New Girl Poems
- carpe diem