Girl Poems - Poems For Girl - A Greek Girl
Poems about girl. You can read the best girl poems. Browse through all girl poems.
A Greek Girl - Poem by Amy Levy
I may not weep, not weep, and he is dead.
A weary, weary weight of tears unshed
Through the long day in my sad heart I bear;
The horrid sun with all unpitying glare
Shines down into the dreary weaving-room,
Where clangs the ceaseless clatter of the loom,
And ceaselessly deft maiden-fingers weave
The fine-wrought web; and I from morn till eve
Work with the rest, and when folk speak to me
I smile hard smiles; while still continually
The silly stream of maiden speech flows on:--
And now at length they talk of him that's gone,
Lightly lamenting that he died so soon--
Ah me! ere yet his life's sun stood at noon.
Some praise his eyes, some deem his body fair,
And some mislike the colour of his hair!
Sweet life, sweet shape, sweet eyes, and sweetest hair,
What form, what hue, save Love's own, did ye wear?
I may not weep, not weep, for very shame.
He loved me not. One summer's eve he came
To these our halls, my father's honoured guest,
And seeing me, saw not. If his lips had prest
My lips, but once, in love; his eyes had sent
One love-glance into mine, I had been content,
And deemed it great joy for one little life;
Nor envied other maids the crown of wife:
The long sure years, the merry children-band--
Alas, alas, I never touched his hand!
And now my love is dead that loved not me.
Thrice-blest, thrice-crowned, of gods thrice-lovèd she--
That other, fairer maid, who tombward brings
Her gold, shorn locks and piled-up offerings
Of fragrant fruits, rich wines, and spices rare,
And cakes with honey sweet, with saffron fair;
And who, unchecked by any thought of shame,
May weep her tears, and call upon his name,
With burning bosom prest to the cold ground,
Knowing, indeed, that all her life is crown'd,
Thrice-crowned, thrice honoured, with that love of his;--
No dearer crown on earth is there, I wis.
While yet the sweet life lived, more light to bear
Was my heart's hunger; when the morn was fair,
And I with other maidens in a line
Passed singing through the city to the shrine,
Oft in the streets or crowded market-place
I caught swift glimpses of the dear-known face;
Or marked a stalwart shoulder in the throng;
Or heard stray speeches as we passed along,
In tones more dear to me than any song.
These, hoarded up with care, and kept apart,
Did serve as meat and drink my hungry heart.
And now for ever has my sweet love gone;
And weary, empty days I must drag on,
Till all the days of all my life be sped,
By no thought cheered, by no hope comforted.
For if indeed we meet among the shades,
How shall he know me from the other maids?--
Me, that had died to save his body pain!
Alas, alas, such idle thoughts are vain!
O cruel, cruel sunlight, get thee gone!
O dear, dim shades of eve, come swiftly on!
That when quick lips, keen eyes, are closed in sleep,
Through the long night till dawn I then may weep.
Comments about A Greek Girl by Amy Levy
Poems About Girl
- 1. A Crazed Girl , William Butler Yeats
- 2. Always Marry An April Girl , Ogden Nash
- 3. Advice To A Girl , Sara Teasdale
- 4. A Girl , Ezra Pound
- 5. A Little Girl Lost , William Blake
- 6. Quiet Girl , Langston Hughes
- 7. A Brown Girl Dead , Countee Cullen
- 8. Girl In A Miniskirt Reading The Bible Ou.. , Charles Bukowski
- 9. There Is A Girl Inside , Lucille Clifton
- 10. Dream Girl , Carl Sandburg
- 11. Girl In Love , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 12. This Girl , Julie Bond
- 13. The Little Girl Lost , William Blake
- 14. The Goose-Girl , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 15. The Girl I Used To Be , Pia Andersson
- 16. The Little Girl Found , William Blake
- 17. The Whistling Girl , Dorothy Parker
- 18. Our Hired Girl , James Whitcomb Riley
- 19. Bird Girl , s./j. goldner
- 20. The Right Girl For Me , Ernestine Northover
- 21. For A Naughty Little Girl , Ann Taylor
- 22. There Was A Little Girl , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 23. A Stranded Girl On A Friday Night , Uriah Hamilton
- 24. A Cowherding Girl , Mirabai
- 25. A Little Girl Lost , Uriah Hamilton
- 26. Poem Of Remembrance For A Girl Or A Boy , Walt Whitman
- 27. Sparrow, The Special Delight Of My Girl , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 28. The Half-Breed Girl , Duncan Campbell Scott
- 29. How A Little Girl Danced , Vachel Lindsay
- 30. A Greek Girl , Amy Levy
- 31. The Romany Girl , Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 32. A Girl Sang A Song , Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
- 33. Girl-Gladness , Zora Bernice May Cross
- 34. To A Highland Girl (At Inversneyde, Upon.. , William Wordsworth
- 35. About The Little Girl That Beat Her Sister , Ann Taylor
- 36. Little Girl , Lauren White
- 37. To A Young Girl , William Butler Yeats
- 38. Flavius’s Girl: To Flavius , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 39. Home Truths For Varus’s Girl: To Varus , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 40. That Pretty Girl , Kobayashi Issa
- 41. How A Little Girl Sang , Vachel Lindsay
- 42. ! ! Where Do You Go, Girl? , Michael Shepherd
- 43. The Bush Girl , Henry Lawson
- 44. Ode To The Only Girl , John Williams
- 45. A Girl Will Kiss Me , Uriah Hamilton
- 46. Come, Pretty School-Girl! , Henry Clay Work
- 47. A Letter From A Girl To Her Own Old Age , Alice Meynell
- 48. The Girl Inside , Michelle Guza
- 49. The Negro Girl , Mary Darby Robinson
- 50. His Gippsland Girl , William Henry Ogilvie
New Girl Poems
- Cornelia Paun Heinzel: 'love Criminal', Cornelia Paun
- I Need You, Sareena Asrar
- Find Me A Girl?, Nikhil Parekh
- Husband & Wife, Nikhil Parekh
- Only In My Memories., Nikhil Parekh
- This Kind Of Girl, Gladys Ombati
- The Girl, Eljess Rey Cadiz
- That Girl, Chontia Bailey
- Want To Meet A Girl, Lee Fones
- Oh Girl Its You, kaliaha hogue
- carpe diem