Girl Poems - Poems For Girl - A Letter From A Girl To Her Own Old Age
Poems about girl. You can read the best girl poems. Browse through all girl poems.
A Letter From A Girl To Her Own Old Age - Poem by Alice Meynell
Listen, and when thy hand this paper presses,
O time-worn woman, think of her who blesses
What thy thin fingers touch, with her caresses.
O mother, for the weight of years that break thee!
O daughter, for slow time must yet awake thee,
And from the changes of my heart must make thee!
O fainting traveller, morn is gray in heaven.
Dost thou remember how the clouds were driven?
And are they calm about the fall of even?
Pause near the ending of thy long migration;
For this one sudden hour of desolation
Appeals to one hour of thy meditation.
Suffer, O silent one, that I remind thee
Of the great hills that stormed the sky behind thee,
Of the wild winds of power that have resigned thee.
Know that the mournful plain where thou must wander
Is but a gray and silent world, but ponder
The misty mountains of the morning yonder.
Listen:-the mountain winds with rain were fretting,
And sudden gleams the mountain-tops besetting.
I cannot let thee fade to death, forgetting.
What part of this wild heart of mine I know not
Will follow with thee where the great winds blow not,
And where the young flowers of the mountain grow not.
Yet let my letter with thy lost thoughts in it
Tell what the way was when thou didst begin it,
And win with thee the goal when thou shalt win it.
I have not writ this letter of divining
To make a glory of thy silent pining,
A triumph of thy mute and strange declining.
Only one youth, and the bright life was shrouded;
Only one morning, and the day was clouded;
And one old age with all regrets is crowded.
O hush, O hush! Thy tears my words are steeping.
O hush, hush, hush! So full, the fount of weeping?
Poor eyes, so quickly moved, so near to sleeping?
Pardon the girl; such strange desires beset her.
Poor woman, lay aside the mournful letter
That breaks thy heart; the one who wrote, forget her:
The one who now thy faded features guesses,
With filial fingers thy gray hair caresses,
With morning tears thy mournful twilight blesses.
Comments about A Letter From A Girl To Her Own Old Age by Alice Meynell
Poems About Girl
- 1. A Crazed Girl , William Butler Yeats
- 2. Always Marry An April Girl , Ogden Nash
- 3. Advice To A Girl , Sara Teasdale
- 4. A Girl , Ezra Pound
- 5. A Little Girl Lost , William Blake
- 6. Quiet Girl , Langston Hughes
- 7. Girl In A Miniskirt Reading The Bible Ou.. , Charles Bukowski
- 8. A Brown Girl Dead , Countee Cullen
- 9. There Is A Girl Inside , Lucille Clifton
- 10. The Little Girl Lost , William Blake
- 11. Dream Girl , Carl Sandburg
- 12. Girl In Love , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 13. The Little Girl Found , William Blake
- 14. This Girl , Julie Bond
- 15. The Girl I Used To Be , Pia Andersson
- 16. The Goose-Girl , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 17. A Stranded Girl On A Friday Night , Uriah Hamilton
- 18. Bird Girl , s./j. goldner
- 19. The Right Girl For Me , Ernestine Northover
- 20. The Whistling Girl , Dorothy Parker
- 21. There Was A Little Girl , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 22. For A Naughty Little Girl , Ann Taylor
- 23. Our Hired Girl , James Whitcomb Riley
- 24. A Little Girl Lost , Uriah Hamilton
- 25. Poem Of Remembrance For A Girl Or A Boy , Walt Whitman
- 26. A Girl Sang A Song , Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
- 27. Sparrow, The Special Delight Of My Girl , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 28. A Cowherding Girl , Mirabai
- 29. A Greek Girl , Amy Levy
- 30. The Romany Girl , Ralph Waldo Emerson
- 31. The Half-Breed Girl , Duncan Campbell Scott
- 32. How A Little Girl Danced , Vachel Lindsay
- 33. Flavius’s Girl: To Flavius , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 34. Little Girl , Lauren White
- 35. Girl-Gladness , Zora Bernice May Cross
- 36. About The Little Girl That Beat Her Sister , Ann Taylor
- 37. To A Young Girl , William Butler Yeats
- 38. How A Little Girl Sang , Vachel Lindsay
- 39. Home Truths For Varus’s Girl: To Varus , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 40. To A Highland Girl (At Inversneyde, Upon.. , William Wordsworth
- 41. That Pretty Girl , Kobayashi Issa
- 42. ! ! Where Do You Go, Girl? , Michael Shepherd
- 43. The Bush Girl , Henry Lawson
- 44. The Girl Inside , Michelle Guza
- 45. Ode To The Only Girl , John Williams
- 46. A Girl Will Kiss Me , Uriah Hamilton
- 47. A Letter From A Girl To Her Own Old Age , Alice Meynell
- 48. The Negro Girl , Mary Darby Robinson
- 49. His Gippsland Girl , William Henry Ogilvie
- 50. To A Little Girl That Has Told A Lie , Ann Taylor
New Girl Poems
- carpe diem