Funeral Poems - Poems For Funeral
Poems about funeral. You can read the best funeral poems. Browse through all funeral poems.
Mandodari's Lament And The Funerals - Poem by Valmiki
'Hast thou fallen,' wept in anguish Ravan's first and eldest bride,
Mandodari, slender-waisted, Queen of Lanka's state and pride,
'Hast thou fallen, king and consort, more than Gods in warlike might,
Slain by man, whom bright Immortals feared to facein dubious fight?
Not a man!-the Dark Destroyer came to thee in mortal form,
Or the heaven-traversing VISHNU, INDRA ruler of the storm,
Gods of sky in shape of Vanars helped the dark and cruel deed,
Girdling round the Discus-Wielder in the battle's direst need!
Well I knew,-when Khara, Dushan, were by Rama's prowess slain,
Rama was no earthly mortal, he who crossed the mighty main,
Well I knew,-when with his army he invested Lanka's gate,
Rama was no earthly mortal but the messenger of Fate,
And I prayed,-the faithful Sita, might unto her consort go,
For 'tis writ that nations perish for a righteous woman's woe,
But for impious lust of woman,-all forgetful of thy wife,
Thou hast lost thy crown and kingdom, thou hast lost thy fated life!
Woe to me! the sad remembrance haunts my tortured bosom still,
Of our days on famed Kailasa or on Meru's golden hill,
Done the days of joy and gladness, Mandodari's days are done,
Since her lord and king and husband from her dear embrace is gone!
Sorely wept the Queen of Lanka; Rama, tender, tearful, true,
Bade the funeral rites and honours to a fallen foeman due,
And they heaped the wood of Chandan and the fragrant garland laid,
On the pyre they lifted Ravan in the richest robes arrayed,
Weeping queens and sorrowing Rakshas round their fallen leader stood,
Brahmans with their chaunted mantras piled the dry and scented wood,
Oil and cords and sacred offerings were upon the altar laid,
And a goat of inky darkness as a sacrifice was slayed.
Piously the good Bibhishan lighted Ravan's funeral pyre,
And the zephyrs gently blowing fanned the bright and blazing fire,
Slow and sad with due abititions mourners left the funeral site,
Rama then unstrung his weapon, laid aside his arms of might.
Comments about Mandodari's Lament And The Funerals by Valmiki
Poems About Funeral
- 151. Mandodari's Lament And The Funerals , Valmiki
- 152. A Funeral Procession , john tiong chunghoo
- 153. Someone Here Knows You , Aldo Kraas
- 154. Twilight At A Window , nimal dunuhinga
- 155. His Funeral Song , Aldo Kraas
- 156. It Hurts Me So Much To Think , Aldo Kraas
- 157. White Funeral , Jade Leven
- 158. How Important A Woman Is! , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 159. A Coffin, But Where Is The Dead Person? , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 160. Cleaning Up , gershon hepner
- 161. Loneliness, In Two Simple Shapes , RIC S. BASTASA
- 162. This Business Of Dying , Kaye Cee
- 163. Suicide , Tonya Kincheloe
- 164. I Guess Living Is So True , Miroslava Odalovic
- 165. Funeral For Love , Matthew Holloway
- 166. That Lonely Funeral , Aldo Kraas
- 167. They Cried At Her Funeral , Aldo Kraas
- 168. Funerals Are A Festival , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 169. Lost Poems , Kim Barney
- 170. To My Friend Onthe Death Of His Sister , John Greenleaf Whittier
- 171. Epitaph , Saiom Shriver
- 172. The Good Funeral , Matt Ullman
- 173. The Funeral Is Done , Emmanuel George Cefai
- 174. My Master , Aftab Alam
- 175. Allowing Spaces To Be Blank , gershon hepner
- 176. One Day Someone Will Say The Same Of Me , Francis Duggan
- 177. Pall Bearers Hedgehogs , Emmanuel George Cefai
- 178. My Father's Blessing , RIC S. BASTASA
- 179. The Wreath. , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 180. The Mother Sparrow , RIC S. BASTASA
- 181. Achilles  , Gert Strydom
- 182. Notes From My Elder Sister Whose One Yea.. , RIC S. BASTASA
- 183. Funeral Weather , Narcissus Starlight
- 184. The Passion Of Our Lady , Charles Péguy
- 185. Emily Dickinson , Adam Sobh
- 186. Greiving Suicide (Short Story) , Monica Rose
- 187. Saying Goodbye In A Funeral , Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- 188. Rejoice My Funeral! , Vartika Pandey
- 189. For D , Kate Nielsen
- 190. My Rainbow , Shanna Stewart
- 191. Esperanza , ENRIQUE ALBERTO HURTADO MINO ..
- 192. In The Funeral , khalid alalawi
- 193. A Baby Carrot! ! ! *** , Wael Karameh
- 194. Notification Of The Death Of Alberto , RIC S. BASTASA
- 195. Father Ed , Francis Duggan
- 196. Jerry Doody , Francis Duggan
- 197. I Can Hear The Funeral Bell , Francis Duggan
- 198. The Unsung Death , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 199. Two Funerals In One Day , Donal Mahoney
- 200. A Funeral Note , Edward Kofi Louis
New Funeral Poems
- Saying Goodbye In A Funeral, Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- Onward Into The Darkness, Anthony Daniels
- Rest My Body In The Know Of Mine, Mpho Wordsworth Leteng
- Finally Hope Fades Away, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- My Master, Aftab Alam
- When I Think About Death, Cassie Kinney
- A Coffin, But Where Is The Dead Person?, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- No Pockets On My Clothes(Final Copy), alexander opicho
- No Poeckets On My Clothes, alexander opicho
- Funeral Of A Friend, Randy McClave
- carpe diem