Food Poems - Poems For Food
Poems about food. You can read the best food poems. Browse through all food poems.
Strizhevskaya - Poem by gershon hepner
Strizhevskaya likes food that fresh,
as do so many of her friends,
eschewing fish and cattle flesh,
which carnivores who don’t offends
until they see that ethics may
be quite compatible with taste,
which she believes to be the way
demanded by the Torah, laced
with wine, and many kinds of cheese,
which both de rigueur are for her
and all her friends who’re glad to seize
the Sabbath as a friendly burr,
the special holy moment when
Jews should be eating only food
that turns young Hebrew boys to men
and makes sure that the girls are Jewed
with eco-friendly partners who
to Torah words are most attentive.
Food-consciously she gives this crew
to be good Jews a great incentive
that I applaud although I eat
dead fish, dead cows, dead fowl, dead sheep,
which help me greedily to greet
the Sabbath bride before I sleep.
replete with meat of beasts that chew
the cud and have a cloven hoof,
which matters greatly to this Jew
before he takes his shabbos schluf.
Inspired by an article in the LA Times, May 9,2009 by Mary MacVean and Duke Helfand (“‘Eco-kosher’ Jews have an appetite for ethical eating, ” describing the food habits of eco-friendly kosher Jews, including our friend Nadya Strizhevskaya:
As is the custom, the guests observed the holy day of rest with a meal, but with a twist: They were sharing a 'sustainable' Sabbath dinner on this Friday evening, with food that was locally grown, mostly organic and intended to elevate their practice of Judaism.
Arch and her husband, David Andorsky, passed around goat cheese - made at home - sprinkled with oregano, thyme and chives. Sarah Newman brought ratatouille made with her home-canned tomatoes and vegetables from a farmers market. The others, too, prepared food that was not only kosher and vegetarian, they explained, but provided a way for them to strengthen their ties to their faith and to live out a Jewish imperative to protect the Earth. The dinner reflected a powerful current in Jewish culinary consciousness: Growing numbers of people are choosing to express their values through the food they put on their tables, altering the most basic day-to-day decisions about nourishment. It's why Jenna Snow picked loquats from her yard - rather than buying them at the store - for the custardy cake called clafoutis that she made for the Sabbath potluck….
Strizhevskaya displayed her quiche, made with kale, peppers, onions, rosemary and marjoram - all from the Culver City market. 'When we go through this very long process of preparation, we become more at one with the creation all around us, ' Strizhevskaya told the group. 'We stop taking God's gifts for granted. For me, that's what Judaism is all about.'As dinner drew to a close, the friends sang the 'grace after meals' in Hebrew:
Because of His great goodness, we have never lacked food.... You are blessed, Lord, who provides food for all.
Comments about Strizhevskaya by gershon hepner
Poems About Food
- 201. Strizhevskaya , gershon hepner
- 202. Zz 19 Ways The U.S.D.A. Kills People, An.. , Saiom Shriver
- 203. Food In Heaven , Charles Hice
- 204. Empty Wallets , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 205. 100 Std's 10,000 Mtd's , O Anna Niemus
- 206. Creatures Of The Flame , gershon hepner
- 207. Quip , Robert Rorabeck
- 208. Zz Fruitarian Diet: Healthiest, Highest .. , Saiom Shriver
- 209. Apples And Avocados: Nonviolent Food , O Anna Niemus
- 210. Feeling Out Of Sorts? , Ray Lucero
- 211. Food For Everyone , Naveed Akram
- 212. Sonnet-On Our Diet , Dr John Celes
- 213. Zz 42 Causes Of Alzheimer's But Prime On.. , Saiom Shriver
- 214. Synergy , gershon hepner
- 215. An Inconclusive Syllogism , Indira Renganathan
- 216. Walk A Mile , Charles Hice
- 217. The Ugly Mosquito , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 218. Philadelphia , Aldo Kraas
- 219. Philadelphia Revised , Aldo Kraas
- 220. Feed The Ego , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 221. Republican Greed Policies Shames America , Terence George Craddock (aft ..
- 222. Something Is Wrong , Donal Mahoney
- 223. The Ants And The Snake. Why Democracy Is.. , Dimitri Jagodinski
- 224. Travel Haiku - San Francisco Local Taste.. , john tiong chunghoo
- 225. It Is A Bleak Season For Farmers , Francis Duggan
- 226. The Worm The Sparrow Missed , Is It Poetry
- 227. Cheph111chapterthree: , Charles Hice
- 228. The Pinda-Dana Ritual, The Countryside T.. , Bijay Kant Dubey
- 229. The Elephant Bar , Marilyn Lott
- 230. Love Food , otteri selvakumar
- 231. My Dear Dog , otteri selvakumar
- 232. The Dunnocks Nest , Francis Duggan
- 233. Travel Haiku - San Diego's Fiesta Cinco .. , john tiong chunghoo
- 234. 43 Ways To Reforest The Planet , Saiom Shriver
- 235. April Monday Is Nine , Charles Hice
- 236. Jjones , Charles Hice
- 237. Woman And Food , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 238. Moon Food , otteri selvakumar
- 239. Modern Art , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 240. Race Persists In Food Habit , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 241. He Is Absolved , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 242. Fresh Food , otteri selvakumar
- 243. Visit Malaysia Year Haiku - Hornbill Fee.. , john tiong chunghoo
- 244. Pinda-Dana , Bijay Kant Dubey
- 245. Zz As Fukushima Poisons Pour Into Pacifi.. , Saiom Shriver
- 246. I Watch You Look At Me , Aldo Kraas
- 247. What A Wonderful God , Aldo Kraas
- 248. Spam & Eggs? , Ray Lucero
- 249. Tables Of Food , Naveed Akram
- 250. The Best Food , Naveed Akram
New Food Poems
- Medicine (By St. Thiruvalluvar), rajendran muthiah
- Food, Kelly Kurt
- Orange Ham And Grits, lucia Buie
- Zz Toxins In Cow And/Or Pig, Sheep, Bird.., Saiom Shriver
- Zz 19 Ways The U.S.D.A. Kills People, An.., Saiom Shriver
- An Inconclusive Syllogism, Indira Renganathan
- Food, Josey Alfred
- Food For Walking, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Give Me Food, gajanan mishra
- VARIETIES OF FOODS انواع من الاطعمة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- carpe diem