Fishing Poems - Poems For Fishing
Poems about fishing. You can read the best fishing poems. Browse through all fishing poems.
1.Our biggest fish
When in the halcyon days of old, I was a little tyke,
I used to fish in pickerel ponds for minnows and the like;
And oh, the bitter sadness with which my soul was fraught
When I rambled home at nightfall with the puny string I'd caught!
And, oh, the indignation and the valor I'd display
When I claimed that all the biggest fish I'd caught had got away!
Sometimes it was the rusty hooks, sometimes the fragile lines,
And many times the treacherous reeds would foil my just designs;
But whether hooks or lines or reeds were actually to blame,
I kept right on at losing all the monsters just the same--
I never lost a little fish--yes, I am free to say
It always was the biggest fish I caught that got away.
And so it was, when later on, I felt ambition pass
From callow minnow joys to nobler greed for pike and bass;
I found it quite convenient, when the beauties wouldn't bite
And I returned all bootless from the watery chase at night,
To feign a cheery aspect and recount in accents gay
How the biggest fish that I had caught had somehow got away.
And really, fish look bigger than they are before they are before they're
When the pole is bent into a bow and the slender line is taut,
When a fellow feels his heart rise up like a doughnut in his throat
And he lunges in a frenzy up and down the leaky boat!
Oh, you who've been a-fishing will indorse me when I say
That it always is the biggest fish you catch that gets away!
'T 'is even so in other things--yes, in our greedy eyes
The biggest boon is some elusive, never-captured prize;
We angle for the honors and the sweets of human life--
Like fishermen we brave the seas that roll in endless strife;
And then at last, when all is done and we are spent and gray,
We own the biggest fish we've caught are those that got away.
I would not have it otherwise; 't is better there should be
Much bigger fish than I have caught a-swimming in the sea;
For now some worthier one than I may angle for that game--
May by his arts entice, entrap, and comprehend the same;
Which, having done, perchance he'll bless the man who's proud to say
That the biggest fish he ever caught were those that got away. read more »
Forth upon the Gitche Gumee,
On the shining Big-Sea-Water,
With his fishing-line of cedar, read more »
When the moon was full they came to the water.
some with pitchforks, some with rakes,
some with sieves and ladles,
and one with a silver cup. read more »
I like to look at fishermen
And oftentimes I wish
One would be lucky now and then
And catch a little fish. read more »
5.At the Fishhouses
Although it is a cold evening,
down by one of the fishhouses
an old man sits netting,
his net, in the gloaming almost invisible, read more »
6.Schroeder the Fisherman
I sat on the bank above Bernadotte
And dropped crumbs in the water,
Just to see the minnows bump each other,
Until the strongest got the prize. read more »
The two of them stood in the middle water,
The current slipping away, quick and cold,
The sun slow at his zenith, sweating gold,
Once, in some sullen summer of father and daughter. read more »
I caught a tremendous fish
and held him beside the boat
half out of water, with my hook
fast in a corner of his mouth. read more »
Wen I git up in de mo'nin' an' de clouds is big an' black,
Dey's a kin' o' wa'nin' shivah goes a-scootin' down my back; read more »
10.Fishing in the Wei River
In waters still as a burnished mirror's face,
In the depths of Wei, carp and grayling swim.
Idly I come with my bamboo fishing-rod
And hang my hook by the banks of Wei stream. read more »
I know a Jew fish crier down on Maxwell Street with a voice like a north wind blowing over corn stubble in January. read more »
12.Off to the Fishing Ground
There's a piping wind from a sunrise shore
Blowing over a silver sea,
There's a joyous voice in the lapsing tide
That calls enticingly; read more »
New Fishing Poems
- Canoe And Fisherman., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Flying Fish Fly Escape Predators, Terence G. Craddock (aftergl ..
- My Uncle Jack, Jim Holmes
- Big Fish, Ikenna Ehiemere
- Cracker Kingfisher, Jayatissa Liyanage
- The Guaca-mole, Richard Lee
- A FISHERMAN'S BASKET, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Fish it, gajanan mishra
- Fish Tub, Minnoor srinivasan
- Fishing Nets شباك صيد الاسماك, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Death of the Fish, Kevin Quero
- Fishes in a Sea of Love, Rachel Nichols
- Fish in jug of water, gajanan mishra
- REMEMBERING FRIEDRICH WILHELM NIETZSCHE, RIC S. BASTASA
- Camping Time, Fraser MacLean
- Fish Tank, Angela Wybrow
- The Pretty Fishing Rod, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- First Encounter - Mahathir Mohamad, john tiong chunghoo
- Haiku #26, otteri selvakumar
- Live like Fish, gajanan mishra
- Your Heart, ali naghavi
- In Constant Struggle, RIC S. BASTASA
- Marc Greets Things in the Morning, Paul van Ostaijen
- New Democracy, Nyein Way
- 'Cat Fish', Shania K. Younce
- 2011 Global Fish Extinction Crisis, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Tanks For The Memories, Louis Marvin
- Fortune Fish, Eileen Hardy
- I Am A Fish!, Arta Krasniqi
- The Snake And The Fish, Asif Andalib
- My First Fishing Trip, bobby beddoe
- fish swim, Shaun Shane
- Hail Venerated King Of Sushi In Death Th.., Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Benefits of 1995 Fish Trash Policy, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Avoiding Deleted Links In Food Chain, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Preserving Global Fishing Grounds, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Incompetence Sentences Our Seas, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- World’s Fisheries In Deep Crisis, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Asian Cyanide Fishing, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- World Sea Fish Extinction Crisis, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- A Fishy Tale, vanessa hughes
- THY WORLD, Aldo Kraas
- Finn's Favorite Fish (Long Tongue Twister), Rebecca Ryan
- GOLDEN FISH, YoungBen Ulebor
- Fish vs. Humans, Rebecca Bell
- Fish of a Different Color, Cory Fox
- Steal, Catherine Yen
- Fishing for Christians, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- FISHING, Karnail Singh Heirwale
- ON A ROCKY BEACH, Aldo Kraas
- We Fish, Herman Melville
- 031210 a set and a round, Manonton Dalan
- 031010 food power, Manonton Dalan
- Icthus (JS#5), James Hart
- Is it really like fishing?, ReubenJames Rodriguez
- fishing for a friend, omar ibrahim
- The Fish Year, Dongming Zhou
- The Sea’s Fish, Naveed Akram
- When I remember the fish, akachukwu chukwuemeka ( akab ..
- Franklins fishes, vincent armone
- Tiny Rhyme, Mubeen Sadhika
- haiku - 241, Dagmara Anna AuraDagimar
- Travel Haiku - Floriday Keys Fishing (St.., john tiong chunghoo
- bloodline ***** FISHING ON PALILAN TABO-.., Rommel Mark Dominguez Marchan
- Fish the Fish, Antonio Liao
- 440, RIC S. BASTASA
- 31, RIC S. BASTASA
- Travel Haiku - Fishing in Seychelles, john tiong chunghoo
- Fishes, Sadiqullah Khan
- .5. Gone Fishing, David Threadgold
- THE HEAD OF THE FISH, Aldo Kraas
- Sky And Water, Atef Ayadi
- Travel Haiku - Angling at Black Hills (S.., john tiong chunghoo
- Lucky Catch, Zen Bojczuk
- carpe diem