Fathers Poems - Poems For Fathers - Anecdote For Fathers
Poems about fathers. You can read the best fathers poems. Browse through all fathers poems.
Anecdote For Fathers - Poem by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
By the late W. W. (of H.M. Inland Revenue Service).
And is it so? Can Folly stalk
And aim her unrespecting darts
In shades where grave Professors walk
And Bachelors of Arts?
I have a boy, not six years old,
A sprite of birth and lineage high:
His birth I did myself behold,
His caste is in his eye.
And oh! his limbs are full of grace,
His boyish beauty past compare:
His mother's joy to wash his face,
And mine to brush his hair!
One morn we strolled on our short walk,
With four goloshes on our shoes,
And held the customary talk
That parents love to use.
(And oft I turn it into verse,
And write it down upon a page,
Which, being sold, supplies my purse
And ministers to age.)
So as we paced the curving High,
To view the sights of Oxford town
We raised our feet (like Nelly Bly),
And then we put them down.
'Now, little Edward, answer me'—
I said, and clutched him by the gown—
'At Cambridge would you rather be,
Or here in Oxford town?'
My boy replied with tiny frown
(He'd been a year at Cavendish),
'I'd rather dwell in Oxford town,
If I could have my wish.'
'Now, little Edward, say why so;
My little Edward, tell me why.'
'Well, really, Pa, I hardly know.'
'Remarkable!' said I:
'For Cambridge has her 'King's Parade,'
And much the more becoming gown;
Why should you slight her so,' I said,
'Compared with Oxford town?'
At this my boy hung down his head,
While sterner grew the parent's eye;
And six-and-thirty times I said,
'Come, Edward, tell me why?'
For I loved Cambridge (where they deal—
How strange!—in butter by the yard);
And so, with every third appeal,
I hit him rather hard.
Twelve times I struck, as may be seen
(For three times twelve is thirty-six),
When in a shop the Magazine
His tearful sight did fix.
He saw it plain, it made him smile,
And thus to me he made reply:—
'At Oxford there's a Crocodile;
And that's the reason why.'
Oh, Mr. Editor! my heart
For deeper lore would seldom yearn,
Could I believe the hundredth part
Of what from you I learn.
Comments about Anecdote For Fathers by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
Poems About Fathers
- 1. Anecdote For Fathers , William Wordsworth
- 2. The Fathers , Edwin Muir
- 3. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers In Ne.. , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 4. Our Fathers Of Old , Rudyard Kipling
- 5. My Fathers, The Baltic , Philip Levine
- 6. The Fathers , Siegfried Sassoon
- 7. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 8. An Indian At The Burial-Place Of His Fat.. , William Cullen Bryant
- 9. The Sins Of The Fathers , Stephen Crane
- 10. Fathers And Daughters , Harry J. Couchon Jr
- 11. Our Fathers Also , Rudyard Kipling
- 12. Your Fathers (1985) , Max Reif
- 13. (((...And A Happy Fathers Day To Yo.. , Theodora (Theo) Onken
- 14. Heavenly Fathers' Day Forever , Michael Shepherd
- 15. Fathers Day (A Reckless Slaughter) , Silent Speaker
- 16. The Pilgrim Fathers , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 17. Father Poetry: A Fathers Tribute , Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- 18. Fathers Are The Men From Sky , Ellias Anderson C.A ( Known ..
- 19. 0016 Fathers, Sons, And Families , Michael Shepherd
- 20. The Pilgrim's Fathers , John Boyle O'Reilly
- 21. Fathers Anger You , Kirsty Lucas
- 22. Fathers Don'T Grow Old , Jemarie Ragudo
- 23. A Fathers Love Is Forever , Peter Beauregard
- 24. To Whom It May Concern... Fathers, Mothe.. , David Beckham
- 25. The Fathers , Elizabeth Holmes
- 26. The Graves Of Our Fathers , Charles Mackay
- 27. My Fathers Eyes , Karin Elizabeth Martin
- 28. A Fathers Promise ' For A Daughter ' , Roger Horsch
- 29. Anecdote For Fathers , Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
- 30. Fathers , Scarlett Treat
- 31. Fathers Dilemma (Daughters Stages) , louis rams
- 32. A Fathers Love , dani fries
- 33. Fathers Day , kevin glenn
- 34. Brothers, Fathers, Sisters, Mothers , Egal Bohen
- 35. Father Poetry: Fathers Are , Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- 36. What Are Fathers Made Of? , Diane Wright
- 37. Dear Fathers , Otteri Selvakumar
- 38. A Fathers Daughter , louis rams
- 39. To Fathers' , Marilyn Lott
- 40. Faith Of Our Fathers Living Still , Barney Rooney
- 41. Fathers Against Sons , nader baheri
- 42. Fathers Are Wonderful People , Helen Steiner Rice
- 43. Not All Fathers Will Get A Chance To Cel.. , Elena Plotkin
- 44. Why Fathers Are Not Worshipped? , Muse Erato
- 45. Happy Fathers Day 'Dad' , Poison 9901
- 46. A Fathers Words To His Child. , R. K. Hart
- 47. A Fathers Reminiscence... , Jonathan Maldonado
- 48. Fathers Day Poem (...A Day Late...) , Oscar Mireles
- 49. Fathers And Sons , Patricia Denise Newman
- 50. Not All Fathers Are Dads , Francie Lynch
New Fathers Poems
- A Country In Distress, Loke Kok yee
- Scenic Irony!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Fathers - Fathers As Good Role Models, Paul Warren
- Fathers, We Have A Question For You, Monica Rupazo
- Plight Of My Generation, Damilare Tella
- Dawn Of A New Age, victoria goddy
- 1000 Years Of Peace, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Fatherless, Charity Nduhiu
- It Takes More Than Titles, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Fathers Day, Phil Soar
- carpe diem