Fathers Poems - Poems For Fathers - Anecdote For Fathers
Poems about fathers. You can read the best fathers poems. Browse through all fathers poems.
Anecdote For Fathers - Poem by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
By the late W. W. (of H.M. Inland Revenue Service).
And is it so? Can Folly stalk
And aim her unrespecting darts
In shades where grave Professors walk
And Bachelors of Arts?
I have a boy, not six years old,
A sprite of birth and lineage high:
His birth I did myself behold,
His caste is in his eye.
And oh! his limbs are full of grace,
His boyish beauty past compare:
His mother's joy to wash his face,
And mine to brush his hair!
One morn we strolled on our short walk,
With four goloshes on our shoes,
And held the customary talk
That parents love to use.
(And oft I turn it into verse,
And write it down upon a page,
Which, being sold, supplies my purse
And ministers to age.)
So as we paced the curving High,
To view the sights of Oxford town
We raised our feet (like Nelly Bly),
And then we put them down.
'Now, little Edward, answer me'—
I said, and clutched him by the gown—
'At Cambridge would you rather be,
Or here in Oxford town?'
My boy replied with tiny frown
(He'd been a year at Cavendish),
'I'd rather dwell in Oxford town,
If I could have my wish.'
'Now, little Edward, say why so;
My little Edward, tell me why.'
'Well, really, Pa, I hardly know.'
'Remarkable!' said I:
'For Cambridge has her 'King's Parade,'
And much the more becoming gown;
Why should you slight her so,' I said,
'Compared with Oxford town?'
At this my boy hung down his head,
While sterner grew the parent's eye;
And six-and-thirty times I said,
'Come, Edward, tell me why?'
For I loved Cambridge (where they deal—
How strange!—in butter by the yard);
And so, with every third appeal,
I hit him rather hard.
Twelve times I struck, as may be seen
(For three times twelve is thirty-six),
When in a shop the Magazine
His tearful sight did fix.
He saw it plain, it made him smile,
And thus to me he made reply:—
'At Oxford there's a Crocodile;
And that's the reason why.'
Oh, Mr. Editor! my heart
For deeper lore would seldom yearn,
Could I believe the hundredth part
Of what from you I learn.
Comments about Anecdote For Fathers by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
Poems About Fathers
- 1. Anecdote For Fathers , William Wordsworth
- 2. The Fathers , Edwin Muir
- 3. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers In Ne.. , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 4. The Fathers , Siegfried Sassoon
- 5. Our Fathers Of Old , Rudyard Kipling
- 6. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 7. My Fathers, The Baltic , Philip Levine
- 8. An Indian At The Burial-Place Of His Fat.. , William Cullen Bryant
- 9. The Sins Of The Fathers , Stephen Crane
- 10. Our Fathers Also , Rudyard Kipling
- 11. (((...And A Happy Fathers Day To Yo.. , Theodora (Theo) Onken
- 12. Fathers Day (A Reckless Slaughter) , Silent Speaker
- 13. The Pilgrim Fathers , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 14. Fathers And Daughters , Harry J. Couchon Jr
- 15. Heavenly Fathers' Day Forever , Michael Shepherd
- 16. A Fathers Love Is Forever , Peter Beauregard
- 17. The Pilgrim's Fathers , John Boyle O'Reilly
- 18. The Fathers , Elizabeth Holmes
- 19. Your Fathers (1985) , Max Reif
- 20. Father Poetry: A Fathers Tribute , Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- 21. Father Poetry: Fathers Are , Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- 22. Anecdote For Fathers , Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
- 23. 0016 Fathers, Sons, And Families , Michael Shepherd
- 24. Thanks To Our Founding Fathers , BRUCE MARTONE
- 25. Fathers Day , kevin glenn
- 26. Dear Fathers , Otteri Selvakumar
- 27. The Graves Of Our Fathers , Charles Mackay
- 28. A Fathers Promise ' For A Daughter ' , Roger Horsch
- 29. Fathers Anger You , Kirsty Lucas
- 30. Fathers And Sons , Patricia Denise Newman
- 31. Fathers Day Poem (...A Day Late...) , Oscar Mireles
- 32. Fathers Don'T Grow Old , Jemarie Ragudo
- 33. My Fathers Eyes , Karin Elizabeth Martin
- 34. My Fathers Hand , Elliott B Wrinkleberry
- 35. Fathers Are The Men From Sky , Ellias Anderson C.A ( Known ..
- 36. Fathers’ Day,2008 , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 37. A Fathers Daughter , louis rams
- 38. Fathers' Day. , Hana Gerzanic-Hons
- 39. Children Need Their Fathers , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 40. To Whom It May Concern... Fathers, Mothe.. , David Beckham
- 41. My Fathers Love , Cathy Bellah
- 42. Happy Fathers Day - Lord Of All Creation , Matt Mondschein
- 43. Happy Fathers Day 'Dad' , Poison 9901
- 44. Founding Fathers Philosophy , Terence George Craddock (aft ..
- 45. Fathers' Day , Swapan Deep Singh
- 46. What Are Fathers Made Of? , Diane Wright
- 47. Fathers Song , Aldo Kraas
- 48. Between Mothers' Day And Fathers' Day , Bashyam Narayanan
- 49. May There Be More Fathers Like This , Saiom Shriver
- 50. Fathers Are Wonderful People , Helen Steiner Rice
New Fathers Poems
- A Country In Distress, Loke Kok yee
- Scenic Irony!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Fathers - Fathers As Good Role Models, Paul Warren
- Fathers, We Have A Question For You, Monica Rupazo
- Plight Of My Generation, Damilare Tella
- Dawn Of A New Age, victoria goddy
- 1000 Years Of Peace, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Fatherless, Charity Nduhiu
- It Takes More Than Titles, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Fathers Day, Phil Soar
- carpe diem