Fathers Poems - Poems For Fathers - An Indian At The Burial-Place Of His Fathers.
Poems about fathers. You can read the best fathers poems. Browse through all fathers poems.
An Indian At The Burial-Place Of His Fathers. - Poem by William Cullen Bryant
It is the spot I came to seek,--
My fathers' ancient burial-place
Ere from these vales, ashamed and weak,
Withdrew our wasted race.
It is the spot--I know it well--
Of which our old traditions tell.
For here the upland bank sends out
A ridge toward the river-side;
I know the shaggy hills about,
The meadows smooth and wide,--
The plains, that, toward the southern sky,
Fenced east and west by mountains lie.
A white man, gazing on the scene,
Would say a lovely spot was here,
And praise the lawns, so fresh and green,
Between the hills so sheer.
I like it not--I would the plain
Lay in its tall old groves again.
The sheep are on the slopes around,
The cattle in the meadows feed,
And labourers turn the crumbling ground,
Or drop the yellow seed,
And prancing steeds, in trappings gay,
Whirl the bright chariot o'er the way.
Methinks it were a nobler sight
To see these vales in woods arrayed,
Their summits in the golden light,
Their trunks in grateful shade,
And herds of deer, that bounding go
O'er hills and prostrate trees below.
And then to mark the lord of all,
The forest hero, trained to wars,
Quivered and plumed, and lithe and tall,
And seamed with glorious scars,
Walk forth, amid his reign, to dare
The wolf, and grapple with the bear.
This bank, in which the dead were laid,
Was sacred when its soil was ours;
Hither the artless Indian maid
Brought wreaths of beads and flowers,
And the gray chief and gifted seer
Worshipped the god of thunders here.
But now the wheat is green and high
On clods that hid the warrior's breast,
And scattered in the furrows lie
The weapons of his rest;
And there, in the loose sand, is thrown
Of his large arm the mouldering bone.
Ah, little thought the strong and brave
Who bore their lifeless chieftain forth--
Or the young wife, that weeping gave
Her first-born to the earth,
That the pale race, who waste us now,
Among their bones should guide the plough.
They waste us--ay--like April snow
In the warm noon, we shrink away;
And fast they follow, as we go
Towards the setting day,--
Till they shall fill the land, and we
Are driven into the western sea.
But I behold a fearful sign,
To which the white men's eyes are blind;
Their race may vanish hence, like mine,
And leave no trace behind,
Save ruins o'er the region spread,
And the white stones above the dead.
Before these fields were shorn and tilled,
Full to the brim our rivers flowed;
The melody of waters filled
The fresh and boundless wood;
And torrents dashed and rivulets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
Those grateful sounds are heard no more,
The springs are silent in the sun;
The rivers, by the blackened shore,
With lessening current run;
The realm our tribes are crushed to get
May be a barren desert yet.
Comments about An Indian At The Burial-Place Of His Fathers. by William Cullen Bryant
Poems About Fathers
- 1. Anecdote For Fathers , William Wordsworth
- 2. The Fathers , Edwin Muir
- 3. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers In Ne.. , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 4. The Fathers , Siegfried Sassoon
- 5. Our Fathers Of Old , Rudyard Kipling
- 6. The Landing Of The Pilgrim Fathers , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 7. My Fathers, The Baltic , Philip Levine
- 8. An Indian At The Burial-Place Of His Fat.. , William Cullen Bryant
- 9. The Sins Of The Fathers , Stephen Crane
- 10. Our Fathers Also , Rudyard Kipling
- 11. (((...And A Happy Fathers Day To Yo.. , Theodora (Theo) Onken
- 12. Fathers Day (A Reckless Slaughter) , Silent Speaker
- 13. The Pilgrim Fathers , Felicia Dorothea Hemans
- 14. Fathers And Daughters , Harry J. Couchon Jr
- 15. Heavenly Fathers' Day Forever , Michael Shepherd
- 16. A Fathers Love Is Forever , Peter Beauregard
- 17. The Pilgrim's Fathers , John Boyle O'Reilly
- 18. The Fathers , Elizabeth Holmes
- 19. Your Fathers (1985) , Max Reif
- 20. Father Poetry: A Fathers Tribute , Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- 21. Father Poetry: Fathers Are , Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- 22. Anecdote For Fathers , Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
- 23. 0016 Fathers, Sons, And Families , Michael Shepherd
- 24. Thanks To Our Founding Fathers , BRUCE MARTONE
- 25. Fathers Day , kevin glenn
- 26. Dear Fathers , Otteri Selvakumar
- 27. The Graves Of Our Fathers , Charles Mackay
- 28. A Fathers Promise ' For A Daughter ' , Roger Horsch
- 29. Fathers Anger You , Kirsty Lucas
- 30. Fathers And Sons , Patricia Denise Newman
- 31. Fathers Day Poem (...A Day Late...) , Oscar Mireles
- 32. Fathers Don'T Grow Old , Jemarie Ragudo
- 33. My Fathers Eyes , Karin Elizabeth Martin
- 34. My Fathers Hand , Elliott B Wrinkleberry
- 35. Fathers Are The Men From Sky , Ellias Anderson C.A ( Known ..
- 36. Fathers’ Day,2008 , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 37. A Fathers Daughter , louis rams
- 38. Fathers' Day. , Hana Gerzanic-Hons
- 39. Children Need Their Fathers , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 40. To Whom It May Concern... Fathers, Mothe.. , David Beckham
- 41. My Fathers Love , Cathy Bellah
- 42. Happy Fathers Day - Lord Of All Creation , Matt Mondschein
- 43. Happy Fathers Day 'Dad' , Poison 9901
- 44. Founding Fathers Philosophy , Terence George Craddock (aft ..
- 45. Fathers' Day , Swapan Deep Singh
- 46. What Are Fathers Made Of? , Diane Wright
- 47. Fathers Song , Aldo Kraas
- 48. Between Mothers' Day And Fathers' Day , Bashyam Narayanan
- 49. May There Be More Fathers Like This , Saiom Shriver
- 50. Fathers Are Wonderful People , Helen Steiner Rice
New Fathers Poems
- A Country In Distress, Loke Kok yee
- Scenic Irony!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Fathers - Fathers As Good Role Models, Paul Warren
- Fathers, We Have A Question For You, Monica Rupazo
- Plight Of My Generation, Damilare Tella
- Dawn Of A New Age, victoria goddy
- 1000 Years Of Peace, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Fatherless, Charity Nduhiu
- It Takes More Than Titles, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Fathers Day, Phil Soar
- carpe diem