Death Poems - Poems For Death - On The Death Of Rev. Mr. George Whitefield
Poems about death. You can read the best death poems. Browse through all death poems.
On The Death Of Rev. Mr. George Whitefield - Poem by Phillis Wheatley
HAIL, happy saint, on thine immortal throne,
Possest of glory, life, and bliss unknown;
We hear no more the music of thy tongue,
Thy wonted auditories cease to throng.
Thy sermons in unequall'd accents flow'd,
And ev'ry bosom with devotion glow'd;
Thou didst in strains of eloquence refin'd
Inflame the heart, and captivate the mind.
Unhappy we the setting sun deplore,
So glorious once, but ah! it shines no more.
Behold the prophet in his tow'ring flight!
He leaves the earth for heav'n's unmeasur'd height,
And worlds unknown receive him from our sight.
There Whitefield wings with rapid course his way,
And sails to Zion through vast seas of day.
Thy pray'rs, great saint, and thine incessant cries
Have pierc'd the bosom of thy native skies.
Thou moon hast seen, and all the stars of light,
How he has wrestled with his God by night.
He pray'd that grace in ev'ry heart might dwell,
He long'd to see America excell;
He charg'd its youth that ev'ry grace divine
Should with full lustre in their conduct shine;
That Saviour, which his soul did first receive,
The greatest gift that ev'n a God can give,
He freely offer'd to the num'rous throng,
That on his lips with list'ning pleasure hung.
"Take him, ye wretched, for your only good,
"Take him ye starving sinners, for your food;
"Ye thirsty, come to this life-giving stream,
"Ye preachers, take him for your joyful theme;
"Take him my dear Americans, he said,
"Be your complaints on his kind bosom laid:
"Take him, ye Africans, he longs for you,
"Impartial Saviour is his title due:
"Wash'd in the fountain of redeeming blood,
"You shall be sons, and kings, and priests to God."
Great Countess,* we Americans revere
Thy name, and mingle in thy grief sincere;
New England deeply feels, the Orphans mourn,
Their more than father will no more return.
But, though arrested by the hand of death,
Whitefield no more exerts his lab'ring breath,
Yet let us view him in th' eternal skies,
Let ev'ry heart to this bright vision rise;
While the tomb safe retains its sacred trust,
Till life divine re-animates his dust.
*The Countess of Huntingdon, to whom Mr. Whitefield was
Comments about On The Death Of Rev. Mr. George Whitefield by Phillis Wheatley
Poems About Death
- 1. Let Me Die A Youngman's Death , Roger McGough
- 2. And Death Shall Have No Dominion , Dylan Thomas
- 3. Death Be Not Proud , John Donne
- 4. Death Is Nothing At All , Henry Scott Holland
- 5. Because I Could Not Stop For Death , Emily Dickinson
- 6. A Refusal To Mourn The Death, By Fire, O.. , Dylan Thomas
- 7. Nothing But Death , Pablo Neruda
- 8. A Poet's Death Is His Life Iv , Khalil Gibran
- 9. Father Death Blues , Allen Ginsberg
- 10. A Dream Of Death , William Butler Yeats
- 11. Angel Of Death (Death Death Death Dea.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 12. Death Wants More Death , Charles Bukowski
- 13. A Death Blow Is A Life Blow To Some , Emily Dickinson
- 14. The Death Of The Ball Turret Gunner , Randall Jarrell
- 15. A City's Death By Fire , Derek Walcott
- 16. An Irish Airman Forsees His Death , William Butler Yeats
- 17. After Death , Sara Teasdale
- 18. Death Leaves Us Homesick, Who Behind , Emily Dickinson
- 19. Death , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 20. The Beauty Of Death Xiv , Khalil Gibran
- 21. A Funeral Poem On The Death Of C. E. An .. , Phillis Wheatley
- 22. Death Xxvii , Khalil Gibran
- 23. On The Death Of A Young Lady Of Five Yea.. , Phillis Wheatley
- 24. First Death In Nova Scotia , Elizabeth Bishop
- 25. The Death Of Joy Gardner , Benjamin Zephaniah
- 26. A Thought For A Lonely Death-Bed , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 27. On The Death Of That Most Excellent Lady, , Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz
- 28. For The Anniversary Of My Death , William Stanley Merwin
- 29. Gacela Of The Dark Death , Federico García Lorca
- 30. A Ballad Of Death , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 31. Death &Amp; Fame , Allen Ginsberg
- 32. On The Death Of Anne Brontë , Charlotte Brontë
- 33. Go Down, Death , James Weldon Johnson
- 34. Death Fugue , Paul Celan
- 35. I Have A Rendezvous With Death , Alan Seeger
- 36. The Death Of The Hired Man , Robert Frost
- 37. On Death , Anne Killigrew
- 38. Love &Amp; Fame &Amp; Death , Charles Bukowski
- 39. Fugue Of Death , Paul Celan
- 40. If Death Is Kind , Sara Teasdale
- 41. Death Is A Dialogue Between , Emily Dickinson
- 42. On Hearing Of A Death , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 43. As At Thy Portals Also Death , Walt Whitman
- 44. Death , Heinrich Heine
- 45. A Death-Bed , Rudyard Kipling
- 46. Don'T Fear Death , Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
- 47. Passing On (Death Death Death Death De.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 48. Holy Sonnet X: Death Be Not Proud , John Donne
- 49. Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death , Novalis
- 50. All But Death, Can Be Adjusted , Emily Dickinson
New Death Poems
- Humanity Was Ultimately Meant To Die! Sa.., Ontomu William
- Life = Death - Volume 8 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 6 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 5 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 2 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 1 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- You Die; I Die - Love Poems - Part 16, Nikhil Parekh
- 1 God - Poems On God, Creator - Volume 4, Nikhil Parekh
- 1 God - Poems On God, Creator - Volume 1, Nikhil Parekh
- In Praise Of Death, Praveen Kumar in Celestial G ..
- carpe diem