Couplet Poems - Poems For Couplet
Poems about couplet. You can read the best couplet poems. Browse through all couplet poems.
Of The Four Ages Of Man - Poem by Anne Bradstreet
Lo, now four other act upon the stage,
Childhood and Youth, the Many and Old age:
The first son unto phlegm, grandchild to water,
Unstable, supple, cold and moist's his nature
The second, frolic, claims his pedigree
From blood and air, for hot and moist is he.
The third of fire and choler is compos'd,
Vindicative and quarrelsome dispos'd.
The last of earth and heavy melancholy,
Solid, hating all lightness and all folly.
Childhood was cloth'd in white and green to show
His spring was intermixed with some snow:
Upon his head nature a garland set
Of Primrose, Daisy and the Violet.
Such cold mean flowers the spring puts forth betime,
Before the sun hath thoroughly heat the clime.
His hobby striding did not ride but run,
And in his hand an hour-glass new begun,
In danger every moment of a fall,
And when 't is broke then ends his life and all:
But if he hold till it have run its last,
Then may he live out threescore years or past.
Next Youth came up in gorgeous attire
(As that fond age doth most of all desire),
His suit of crimson and his scarf of green,
His pride in's countenance was quickly seen;
Garland of roses, pinks and gillyflowers
Seemed on's head to grow bedew'd with showers.
His face as fresh as is Aurora fair,
When blushing she first 'gins to light the air.
No wooden horse, but one of mettle tried,
He seems to fly or swim, and not to ride.
Then prancing on the stage, about he wheels,
But as he went death waited at his heels,
The next came up in a much graver sort,
As one that cared for a good report,
His sword by's side, and choler in his eyes,
But neither us'd as yet, for he was wise;
Of Autumn's fruits a basket on his arm,
His golden god in's purse, which was his charm.
And last of all to act upon this stage
Leaning upon his staff came up Old Age,
Under his arm a sheaf of wheat he bore,
An harvest of the best, what needs he more?
In's other hand a glass ev'n almost run,
Thus writ about: "This out, then am I done."
Comments about Of The Four Ages Of Man by Anne Bradstreet
Poems About Couplet
- 51. Of The Four Ages Of Man , Anne Bradstreet
- 52. Eloisa To Abelard , Alexander Pope
- 53. The Debt , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 54. Love And Friendship , Emily Jane Brontë
- 55. On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer , John Keats
- 56. A Dialogue Between Old England And New , Anne Bradstreet
- 57. Sonnet 80: O, How I Faint When I Of You .. , William Shakespeare
- 58. Wild Peaches , Elinor Morton Wylie
- 59. Childhood , Anne Bradstreet
- 60. The Harlem Dancer , Claude McKay
- 61. A Virginal , Ezra Pound
- 62. Only Until This Cigarette Is Ended , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 63. The Rape Of The Lock: Canto 1 , Alexander Pope
- 64. Religio Laici , John Dryden
- 65. The Lynching , Claude McKay
- 66. On A Proposed Trip South , William Carlos Williams
- 67. The Uses Of Poetry , William Carlos Williams
- 68. Sonnet Lxxiii , William Shakespeare
- 69. Sonnet 147: My Love Is As A Fever, Longi.. , William Shakespeare
- 70. Sonnet Xxix: When, In Disgrace With Fort.. , William Shakespeare
- 71. Sonnet Lxxi: Who Will In Fairest Book , Sir Philip Sidney
- 72. Mac Flecknoe: A Satire Upon The True-Blu.. , John Dryden
- 73. Idea Li: Calling To Mind Since First My .. , Michael Drayton
- 74. Delia Xlv: Care-Charmer Sleep, Son Of Th.. , Samuel Daniel
- 75. The Hippopotamus , Ogden Nash
- 76. Where Lies The Land To Which The Ship Wo.. , Arthur Hugh Clough
- 77. His Prayer To Ben Jonson , Robert Herrick
- 78. The Author To Her Book , Anne Bradstreet
- 79. Absalom And Achitophel , John Dryden
- 80. Sonnet 65: Since Brass, Nor Stone, Nor E.. , William Shakespeare
- 81. The Reading Mother , Strickland Gillilan
- 82. Ode To Stephen Dowling Bots, Dec'D , Mark Twain
- 83. Mountains , Henry Kendall
- 84. Rhyme Builder , Robert William Service
- 85. Leaves From Australian Forests (12 Sonne.. , Henry Kendall
- 86. Verses On The Death Of Dr. Swift, D.S.P.D. , Jonathan Swift
- 87. Morning Swim , Maxine Kumin
- 88. Sick , Shel Silverstein
New Couplet Poems
- The Couplet Circles, Luo Zhihai
- Shephan, Edward Kofi Louis
- Encountering Love And Relationship!, Aarzoo Mehek
- Poemsmith, sk Nurul Huda
- Popeye Had Olive And She Was His Girl .., Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)
- If You Were The Sun And I Were The Moon .., Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)
- Translation Of Bharathidasan's Poem: 'Pu.., T Wignesan
- Fountain Of Happiness, Suhail Kakorvi
- Alankar(Decor) -210, Indira Renganathan
- Syringa Vulgaris, Kevin Thaddeus FisherPaulson
- carpe diem