Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
Christmas Eve - Poem by Anne Sexton
Oh sharp diamond, my mother!
I could not count the cost
of all your faces, your moods-
that present that I lost.
Sweet girl, my deathbed,
my jewel-fingered lady,
your portrait flickered all night
by the bulbs of the tree.
Your face as calm as the moon
over a mannered sea,
presided at the family reunion,
the twelve grandchildren
you used to wear on your wrist,
a three-months-old baby,
a fat check you never wrote,
the red-haired toddler who danced the twist,
your aging daughters, each one a wife,
each one talking to the family cook,
each one avoiding your portrait,
each one aping your life.
Later, after the party,
after the house went to bed,
I sat up drinking the Christmas brandy,
watching your picture,
letting the tree move in and out of focus.
The bulbs vibrated.
They were a halo over your forehead.
Then they were a beehive,
blue, yellow, green, red;
each with its own juice, each hot and alive
stinging your face. But you did not move.
I continued to watch, forcing myself,
waiting, inexhaustible, thirty-five.
I wanted your eyes, like the shadows
of two small birds, to change.
But they did not age.
The smile that gathered me in, all wit,
all charm, was invincible.
Hour after hour I looked at your face
but I could not pull the roots out of it.
Then I watched how the sun hit your red sweater, your withered neck,
your badly painted flesh-pink skin.
You who led me by the nose, I saw you as you were.
Then I thought of your body
as one thinks of murder-
Then I said Mary-
Mary, Mary, forgive me
and then I touched a present for the child,
the last I bred before your death;
and then I touched my breast
and then I touched the floor
and then my breast again as if,
somehow, it were one of yours.
Comments about Christmas Eve by Anne Sexton
Poems About Christmas
- 51. Christmas Eve , Anne Sexton
- 52. Snowball , Shel Silverstein
- 53. At The Fishhouses , Elizabeth Bishop
- 54. Star Of My Heart , Vachel Lindsay
- 55. The Cremona Violin , Amy Lowell
- 56. Santa Claus In The Bush , Banjo Paterson
- 57. A Tale Of Christmas Eve , William Topaz McGonagall
- 58. Christmas Fancies , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 59. December 25 , David Lehman
- 60. Santa Claus , Banjo Paterson
- 61. Christmas Eve , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 62. A Christmas Wish , Eugene Field
- 63. Christmas Greetings , Lewis Carroll
- 64. If I Were Santa Claus , Edgar Albert Guest
- 65. Santa Claus , Fred Emerson Brooks
- 66. A Ballad Of Santa Claus , Henry Van Dyke
- 67. Christmas Presents , Anonymous
- 68. Santa Claus' Riddle , Katharine Lee Bates
- 69. Santa's Stocking , Katharine Lee Bates
- 70. Grandfather Knows , Evaleen Stein
- 71. Santa's New Idea , Anonymous
- 72. Nissen, The Santa Claus of Norway , Winifred Sackville Stoner Jr.
- 73. The Night After Christmas , Anonymous
- 74. Santa's Reindeer in the Sky , Winifred Sackville Stoner Jr.
- 75. Santa Claus And His Works , George P. Webster
- 76. Wilmington's Santa Claus , Winifred Sackville Stoner Jr.
- 77. Somehow not only for Christmas , John Greenleaf Whittier
- 78. Kriss Kringle , Thomas Bailey Aldrich
- 79. Wishing , Agnes Mary Clerke
- 80. The Gift of God , Mary Fabyan Windeatt
- 81. The Dear Old Tree , Luella Wilson Smith
- 82. Hang Up The Baby's Stocking , Emily Huntington Miller
- 83. Happy Days , Rhoda Cosgrave Sivell
- 84. The Death Of Santa Claus , Charles Harper Webb
- 85. To Santa Claus , James Whitcomb Riley
- 86. On The Morning Of Christ’s Nativity , John Milton
- 87. Whatever else , Grace Noll Crowell
- 88. When the Song of the Angels Is Stilled , Howard Thurman
- 89. My Sister Thinks She's Santa Claus , Kenn Nesbitt
New Christmas Poems
- Christmas Is Love, Dorsey Baker
- Merry Christmas My Love 2, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Is Not Christmas.., Frankie Wills
- Christmas, Emily 1 Krauss
- The Spirit Of Christmas, April Humason
- Merry Christmas, Neela Nath Das
- Misunderstanding Of Christmas., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Get Prepared, jayne harris
- Christmas Spirit, cheyenne mccartney
- 13-14 Year Christmas Poem, SWETA LEENA PANDA
- carpe diem