Childhood Poems - Poems For Childhood
Poems about childhood. You can read the best childhood poems. Browse through all childhood poems.
37.On Turning Ten
The whole idea of it makes me feel
like I'm coming down with something,
something worse than any stomach ache
or the headaches I get from reading in bad light--
a kind of measles of the spirit,
a mumps of the psyche,
a disfiguring chicken pox of the soul.
You tell me it is too early to be looking back,
but that is because you have forgotten
the perfect simplicity of being one
and the beautiful complexity introduced by two.
But I can lie on my bed and remember every digit.
At four I was an Arabian wizard.
I could make myself invisible
by drinking a glass of milk a certain way.
At seven I was a soldier, at nine a prince.
But now I am mostly at the window
watching the late afternoon light.
Back then it never fell so solemnly
against the side of my tree house,
and my bicycle never leaned against the garage
as it does today,
all the dark blue speed drained out of it.
This is the beginning of sadness, I say to myself,
as I walk through the universe in my sneakers.
It is time to say good-bye to my imaginary friends,
time to turn the first big number.
It seems only yesterday I used to believe
there was nothing under my skin but light.
If you cut me I could shine.
But now when I fall upon the sidewalks of life,
I skin my knees. I bleed. read more »
38.Her First Week
She was so small I would scan the crib a half-second
to find her, face-down in a corner, limp
as something gently flung down, or fallen read more »
39.A Happy Childhood
My mother stands at the screen door, laughing.
“Out out damn Spot,” she commands our silly dog.
I wonder what this means. I rise into adult air read more »
40.From the Lives of My Friends
What are the birds called
in that neighborhood
The dogs read more »
Storms of perfume lift from honeysuckle,
lilac, clover—and drift across the threshold,
outside reclaiming inside as its home.
Warm days whirl in a bright unnumberable blur, read more »
42.A child is
A child is a house that parents inhabit.
How clear the small objects,
how the toys excite one's pity, little clothes read more »
Republic, your cool hands
On my schoolgirl shoulders.
Not sure what allegiances meant
Until the vows were held by heart, read more »
44.What is the Grass?
The child asks, bringing it to me in handfuls.
We stop at the Walt Whitman Service Area—
No sign of Him save some 'Democratic Vistas' read more »
45.Don't Let Me Be Lonely
There was a time I could say no one I knew well had died. This is not to suggest no one died. When I was eight my mother became pregnant. She went to the hospital to give birth and returned without the baby. read more »
Grew up on the Jersey Shore in the 1970s.
Always making margaritas in the kitchen,
always laughing and doing their hair up pretty, read more »
47.Lullaby in Blue
The child takes her first journey
through the inner blue world of her mother's body,
blue veins, blue eyes, frail petal lids. read more »
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring. read more »
New Childhood Poems
- Villanelle: Even childhood teenage nurtu.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- My Childhood's Home, John Bradford
- Her pretty childhood, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- There's No Heaven, Neela Nath
- Facilities To Childhood., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Epic Story Of Childhood., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Childhood For Differently Able., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Inviting Childhood, maharshi trivedi
- Wishes To Children., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Childhood, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Childhood, A Lost Dream, Neela Nath
- Childhood, Aftab Alam
- Remembering Childhood, maharshi trivedi
- - Blessed -, Aparna Chatterjee
- CHILDHOOD'S MAGIC 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- the greatest sin, Nikhil Parekh
- Enfance, Eric Dubois
- Childhood, Aryaman Kakkar
- Childhood, Ravikumar C.P.
- My Childhood, Gamaliel Scipio
- Recall, Aparna Chatterjee
- Childhood, Biplab Singha
- my childhood, Saffan Asif
- Glimpses of My Childhood, Rohit Sapra
- My Childhood, Sir. Shaheer Ahmed
- Alufalism words, Senator alufalism
- Rondeau Reclimbing Childhood Tree, Jonathan ROBIN
- My Childhood, micheal john
- Do You Remember Childhood, Faith Grayson
- When childhood comes back again, Alexander Povolotsky
- Childhood Messages, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Alicia, Manuel Odeny
- Since childhood the night scares you, Gert Strydom
- Childhood, Z.I. Mahmud
- Childhood, Tasha Thomson
- Alone Yet, Mashiur Rahman
- Childhood, Richard Netherland Cook
- The Jingles From My Childhood, Nana Kwame Nketsiah
- I miss my childhood, Shashank Dwivedi
- Why Do Children Want To Grow, Kaila George
- childhood is..., shenika vermaak
- Childhood Marble Poem, john tiong chunghoo
- Childhood, Ron Burn
- Strange Twists In Parent Echo, Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- Return my Childhood, S.D. TIWARI
- Len Webster's 'Childhood Is...', Len Webster
- STANDING ON THE THRESHOLD, sudha pandey
- I am a lot wiser now than in my childhood, Aldo Kraas
- Childhood, paradise yuv
- I miss my childhood, Jinal Oswal
- Reviving Childhood, Amy Marie
- Childhood's Christmas, Patti Masterman
- Childhood, Ayesha A R
- My Innocent Childhood, Zeya Mallick
- Childhood, Just In Love
- Childhood, Ashmita Saha
- Hassle, Hassle the Crazy Cage, Raju Baruah
- On Child Labour, Sameer Daniel Gardner
- Why, Amy Marie
- Abused Child, Mula Veereswara Rao
- Childhood, RiRi S...
- When My Childhood Dies, Evevona Plummer
- My Childhood, jahanvi .................... ..
- Super Mario Brothers Live As Video Gamer.., Ashleigh Leona Mellon
- Childhood, Kervan Aaron
- I can't remember, demarcus reynolds
- my childhood garden, danielle eager
- Lost times, A. V. Asreg
- My Childhood, Kiera R Lewis
- Innocence was stolen, Tiffany Johnson
- 2.03 Childhood - Youth - Old Age, Munindra (Munnan) Misra
- My Childhood Faded Away, Philip Lore
- Haiku - A bag of marbles, john tiong chunghoo
- I look through my childhood, Savio Vogt
- carpe diem