Beauty Poems - Poems For Beauty
Poems about beauty. You can read the best beauty poems. Browse through all beauty poems.
37.At the Fishhouses
Although it is a cold evening,
down by one of the fishhouses
an old man sits netting,
his net, in the gloaming almost invisible,
a dark purple-brown,
and his shuttle worn and polished.
The air smells so strong of codfish
it makes one's nose run and one's eyes water.
The five fishhouses have steeply peaked roofs
and narrow, cleated gangplanks slant up
to storerooms in the gables
for the wheelbarrows to be pushed up and down on.
All is silver: the heavy surface of the sea,
swelling slowly as if considering spilling over,
is opaque, but the silver of the benches,
the lobster pots, and masts, scattered
among the wild jagged rocks,
is of an apparent translucence
like the small old buildings with an emerald moss
growing on their shoreward walls.
The big fish tubs are completely lined
with layers of beautiful herring scales
and the wheelbarrows are similarly plastered
with creamy iridescent coats of mail,
with small iridescent flies crawling on them.
Up on the little slope behind the houses,
set in the sparse bright sprinkle of grass,
is an ancient wooden capstan,
cracked, with two long bleached handles
and some melancholy stains, like dried blood,
where the ironwork has rusted.
The old man accepts a Lucky Strike.
He was a friend of my grandfather.
We talk of the decline in the population
and of codfish and herring
while he waits for a herring boat to come in.
There are sequins on his vest and on his thumb.
He has scraped the scales, the principal beauty,
from unnumbered fish with that black old knife,
the blade of which is almost worn away.
Down at the water's edge, at the place
where they haul up the boats, up the long ramp
descending into the water, thin silver
tree trunks are laid horizontally
across the gray stones, down and down
at intervals of four or five feet.
Cold dark deep and absolutely clear,
element bearable to no mortal,
to fish and to seals . . . One seal particularly
I have seen here evening after evening.
He was curious about me. He was interested in music;
like me a believer in total immersion,
so I used to sing him Baptist hymns.
I also sang "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God."
He stood up in the water and regarded me
steadily, moving his head a little.
Then he would disappear, then suddenly emerge
almost in the same spot, with a sort of shrug
as if it were against his better judgment.
Cold dark deep and absolutely clear,
the clear gray icy water . . . Back, behind us,
the dignified tall firs begin.
Bluish, associating with their shadows,
a million Christmas trees stand
waiting for Christmas. The water seems suspended
above the rounded gray and blue-gray stones.
I have seen it over and over, the same sea, the same,
slightly, indifferently swinging above the stones,
icily free above the stones,
above the stones and then the world.
If you should dip your hand in,
your wrist would ache immediately,
your bones would begin to ache and your hand would burn
as if the water were a transmutation of fire
that feeds on stones and burns with a dark gray flame.
If you tasted it, it would first taste bitter,
then briny, then surely burn your tongue.
It is like what we imagine knowledge to be:
dark, salt, clear, moving, utterly free,
drawn from the cold hard mouth
of the world, derived from the rocky breasts
forever, flowing and drawn, and since
our knowledge is historical, flowing, and flown. read more »
To sing of wars, of captains, and of kings,
Of cities founded, commonwealths begun,
For my mean pen are too superior things:
Or how they all, or each, their dates have run; read more »
39.Song. Murdering Beauty
I'LL gaze no more on her bewitching face,
Since ruin harbours there in every place ;
For my enchanted soul alike she drowns
With calms and tempests of her smiles and frowns. read more »
40.Ingrateful Beauty Threatened
Know Celia, since thou art so proud,
'Twas I that gave thee thy renown;
Thou hadst, in the forgotten crowd
Of common beauties, liv'd unknown, read more »
41.The beauty of the heart
The beauty of the heart
is the lasting beauty:
its lips give to drink
of the water of life. read more »
42.Snowy Owl Goddess
Loudell, in a loose cotton dress
the color of delphiniums,
her hair, owl-feathered and quiet read more »
Sheaves of wheat in cement relief
Supply the beauties of Archer Ave.
Past the scaffolded brick church spire
We turn on the vacant corner lot read more »
44.The Part of the Bee's Body Embedded in the Flesh
The bee-boy, merops apiater, on sultry thundery days
filled his bosom between his coarse shirt and his skin
with bees--his every meal wild honey.
He had no apprehension of their stings or didn't mind read more »
that petal-sheen, read more »
46.Bad Day At The Beauty Salon
I was a 20 year old unemployed receptionist with dyed orange dreadlocks sprouting out of my skull. I needed a job, but first, I needed a haircut.
So I head for this beauty salon on Avenue B.
I'm gonna get a hairdo. read more »
47.Briar Rose (Sleeping Beauty)
a girl who keeps slipping off,
arms limp as old carrots,
into the hypnotist's trance, read more »
48.The Greatest Artist
God is the greatest artist
To whom no one can compare,
Streaking sunsets very beautiful,
Painting rainbows in the air. read more »
New Beauty Poems
- Truth, Hans Raj Sharma
- Beauty Everywhere, derrick foster
- A Daydreaming Evoked by Swallows, Terry Dawson
- Beauty Catches The Eye Of The Humble, Gideon Arthur
- Beauty, narasanna n narasanna n
- Beauty Rarely, Casey Renee Kiser
- Beauty, Brianna Kimball
- Transform (2014), MILTON STYNER JR
- Beauty, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
- BEAUTY الجمال, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Beauty, Siawash Rustami
- Beauty Knows My Beauty Too, Athee Peter
- The Most Beautiful, Rubaba Mmahajia Rahma Sabtiu
- Beauty, Pragya Bajpai
- Beautiful Snow, Heather Burns
- Beauty is to whom?, Dr John Celes
- True Beauty, Alistair James
- Your Beauty, Tyler Walker
- Abstract, sallam yassin
- Beauty, Amitkumar Polsar
- Beauty Can Be Something, angelica nuesi
- Beauty, Matt Ancient
- Beauty is a Million Colors, Sareeah Keelyn
- African Beauty, Ehyndero Dhan
- 'Beauty, Beauty', Shania K. Younce
- There Is No Beauty Like Music's Beauty, Shalom Freedman
- What a Beauty-Full Life, Piyush Kaushal
- Y..... Get ready, Aufie Zophy
- Pride Of Africa, Naseeru Taneemu Annuree
- beauty also is not beautiful, Adesitimi Taiwo Damilola
- Beauty, Champs Ulysses Cabinatan
- You are the most beautiful, Omar Khalid Hashim
- The Greatest Artist, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- Beauty, Praveen Kumar In Celestial G ..
- * Beauty Is Upon You, Denis Martindale
- BEAUTY OF LIFE, TIJANI ADEBOWALE DESTINY
- Your Beauty, Obi Onyenwe
- This Is True Beauty, Blessing Ekpe
- Dissection, Sarah Mariah
- Beauty, Paige Slack
- Little Beauty, Demen ...
- Beauty, Cassie Ayotte
- What is beauty, Arti Chopra
- The Navajo Night Way Ceremony, Anonymous Americas
- beauty! what is BEAUTY? ? ?, pilar guethon
- True beauty, Jean Pullman
- beauty is..., Shannon Snyder
- The beauty of..., Anne Unknown
- God is beauty, Framarz Bagheri
- A BEAUTY NATURAL IS TRUE!, Ramesh T A
- Beauty Is The Poem, Shalom Freedman
- Beauty, new poet
- # A SLEEPING BEAUTY, Samanyan Lakshminarayanan
- Something Beautiful..., Not A Dream Choice
- Beauty Of Silence, Amir Amzah
- The Beauty Of A Poem, Shalom Freedman
- Beauty, confused cherub
- behold I i adore beauty, crushanda williams
- .. My Definition Of Beauty, Eyan Desir
- What is beauty?, Maria Luisa Taylor
- Beauty, Jake Samuelson
- Beautiful One, Mark R Slaughter
- What is Beauty?, maxpoet beauty
- Beauty, Brian Jefferson
- I dream, Timothy Honeycutt
- The Beauty Of Being In The World Jan.9,2.., Shalom Freedman
- What is Beauty?, Serah Regnier
- Beauty, naeem howard
- Without Beauty, Shalom Freedman
- your beauty, sam ggg
- beauty is the beast, Lara wolf
- beauty, edowaye omorogbe
- Beauty, Chizom Okpara
- Beauty, Opsy Coucchy
- carpe diem