Beautiful Poems - Poems For Beautiful - A Beautiful Young Nymph Going To Bed
Poems about beautiful. You can read the best beautiful poems. Browse through all beautiful poems.
A Beautiful Young Nymph Going To Bed - Poem by Jonathan Swift
Corinna, Pride of Drury-Lane,
For whom no Shepherd sighs in vain;
Never did Covent Garden boast
So bright a batter'd, strolling Toast;
No drunken Rake to pick her up,
No Cellar where on Tick to sup;
Returning at the Midnight Hour;
Four Stories climbing to her Bow'r;
Then, seated on a three-legg'd Chair,
Takes off her artificial Hair:
Now, picking out a Crystal Eye,
She wipes it clean, and lays it by.
Her Eye-Brows from a Mouse's Hide,
Stuck on with Art on either Side,
Pulls off with Care, and first displays 'em,
Then in a Play-Book smoothly lays 'em.
Now dextrously her Plumpers draws,
That serve to fill her hollow Jaws.
Untwists a Wire; and from her Gums
A Set of Teeth completely comes.
Pulls out the Rags contriv'd to prop
Her flabby Dugs and down they drop.
Proceeding on, the lovely Goddess
Unlaces next her Steel-Rib'd Bodice;
Which by the Operator's Skill,
Press down the Lumps, the Hollows fill,
Up hoes her Hand, and off she slips
The Bolsters that supply her Hips.
With gentlest Touch, she next explores
Her Shankers, Issues, running Sores,
Effects of many a sad Disaster;
And then to each applies a Plaster.
But must, before she goes to Bed,
Rub off the Daubs of White and Red;
And smooth the Furrows in her Front,
With greasy Paper stuck upon't.
She takes a Bolus e'er she sleeps;
And then between two Blankets creeps.
With pains of love tormented lies;
Or if she chance to close her Eyes,
Of Bridewell and the Compter dreams,
And feels the Lash, and faintly screams;
Or, by a faithless Bully drawn,
At some Hedge-Tavern lies in Pawn;
Or to Jamaica seems transported,
Alone, and by no Planter courted;
Or, near Fleet-Ditch's oozy Brinks,
Surrounded with a Hundred Stinks,
Belated, seems on watch to lie,
And snap some Cull passing by;
Or, struck with Fear, her Fancy runs
On Watchmen, Constables and Duns,
From whom she meets with frequent Rubs;
But, never from Religious Clubs;
Whose Favour she is sure to find,
Because she pays them all in Kind.
CORINNA wakes. A dreadful Sight!
Behold the Ruins of the Night!
A wicked Rat her Plaster stole,
Half eat, and dragged it to his Hole.
The Crystal Eye, alas, was miss'd;
And Puss had on her Plumpers piss'd.
A Pigeon pick'd her Issue-Peas;
And Shock her Tresses fill'd with Fleas.
The Nymph, tho' in this mangled Plight,
Must ev'ry Morn her Limbs unite.
But how shall I describe her Arts
To recollect the scatter'd Parts?
Or show the Anguish, Toil, and Pain,
Of gath'ring up herself again?
The bashful Muse will never bear
In such a Scene to interfere.
Corinna in the Morning dizen'd,
Who sees, will spew; who smells, be poison'd.
Submitted by Andrew Mayers
Comments about A Beautiful Young Nymph Going To Bed by Jonathan Swift
Poems About Beautiful
- 1. A Hint At What Is Beautiful? , yoonoos peerbocus
- 2. The World Is A Beautiful Place , Lawrence Ferlinghetti
- 3. Maker Of Heaven And Earth (All Things Br.. , Cecil Frances Alexander
- 4. America The Beautiful , Katharine Lee Bates
- 5. A Beautiful Young Nymph Going To Bed , Jonathan Swift
- 6. Beautiful! , Sylvia Chidi
- 7. Beautiful Women , Walt Whitman
- 8. Great, Wide, Beautiful, Wonderful World , William Brighty Rands
- 9. My Dove, My Beautiful One , James Joyce
- 10. Gee, You'Re So Beautiful That It's Start.. , Richard Brautigan
- 11. Beautiful Old Age , David Herbert Lawrence
- 12. The Beautiful Changes , Richard Wilbur
- 13. Sonnet 10 - Yet, Love, Mere Love, Is Bea.. , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 14. 04. Beautiful Women , john tiong chunghoo
- 15. Beautiful City , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 16. Beautiful Lofty Things , William Butler Yeats
- 17. Weary Not Of Us, For We Are Very Beautiful , Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- 18. Because You'Re Beautiful , David Taylor
- 19. The Beautiful Poem , Richard Brautigan
- 20. Gray Is Beautiful , Sandra Fowler
- 21. A Beautiful Day With My Love...... , Ravi Sathasivam
- 22. Cry Beautiful , Summer Sandercox
- 23. The Beautiful Lawn Sprinkler , Howard Nemerov
- 24. If Only I Could Write A Beautiful Poem , Douglas Carter
- 25. On The Portrait Of Two Beautiful Young P.. , Gerard Manley Hopkins
- 26. Beautiful Dreamer Serenade , Stephen C. Foster
- 27. Beauty, Beautious, Beautiful , David Taylor
- 28. The Beautiful American Word, Sure , Delmore Schwartz
- 29. Colorfully Beautiful , Paul Moosberg
- 30. A Beautiful Day , Charles M Moore
- 31. The Beautiful Night , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 32. The Beautiful Sun , William Topaz McGonagall
- 33. The Two Guides Of Life - The Sublime And.. , Friedrich Schiller
- 34. Beautiful Blue Eyes , Grace Hays
- 35. In A World Of Beautiful Women , Uriah Hamilton
- 36. You Are Beautiful , Fidelis Patronus
- 37. Beautiful Me , Lore Me34
- 38. The Beautiful Game (Soccer) , Gab Oso
- 39. Beautiful River , Robert Wadsworth Lowry
- 40. Beautiful Edinburgh , William Topaz McGonagall
- 41. The Beautiful Mountain Valley... , Ravi Sathasivam
- 42. The Beautiful City Of Perth , William Topaz McGonagall
- 43. Everything Is Beautiful And Cool On A Fr.. , Uriah Hamilton
- 44. Beautiful Balmerino , William Topaz McGonagall
- 45. Beautiful Aberfoyle , William Topaz McGonagall
- 46. Beautiful Death , Lauren Phillips
- 47. Love’s Beautiful & Love Untainted & Love.. , Margaret Alice
- 48. Beautiful Monikie , William Topaz McGonagall
- 49. Beautiful Crief , William Topaz McGonagall
- 50. Beautiful Rose , Henry Clay Work
New Beautiful Poems
- Beautiful, Betania ...
- You Are Beautiful, Doran Ellis
- Beautiful And Ugly, SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Life Is Beautiful, Nikhil Parekh
- The Ultimate Gifts Of The Almighty Lord, Nikhil Parekh
- So Very Beautiful, Michael P. McParland
- Beautiful, RADHASHYAM JANA
- Black Is Beautiful, Preston Mwiinga
- A Beautiful Afternoon With The Most Beau.., Michael P. McParland
- Beautiful Evenings With You, Michael P. McParland
- carpe diem