Ballad Poems - Poems For Ballad
Poems about ballad. You can read the best ballad poems. Browse through all ballad poems.
Ballad Of The Goodly Fere - Poem by Ezra Pound
Ha' we lost the goodliest fere o' all
For the priests and the gallows tree?
Aye lover he was of brawny men,
O' ships and the open sea.
When they came wi' a host to take Our Man
His smile was good to see,
"First let these go!" quo' our Goodly Fere,
"Or I'll see ye damned," says he.
Aye he sent us out through the crossed high spears
And the scorn of his laugh rang free,
"Why took ye not me when I walked about
Alone in the town?" says he.
Oh we drank his "Hale" in the good red wine
When we last made company,
No capon priest was the Goodly Fere
But a man o' men was he.
I ha' seen him drive a hundred men
Wi' a bundle o' cords swung free,
That they took the high and holy house
For their pawn and treasury.
They'll no' get him a' in a book I think
Though they write it cunningly;
No mouse of the scrolls was the Goodly Fere
But aye loved the open sea.
If they think they ha' snared our Goodly Fere
They are fools to the last degree.
"I'll go to the feast," quo' our Goodly Fere,
"Though I go to the gallows tree."
"Ye ha' seen me heal the lame and blind,
And wake the dead," says he,
"Ye shall see one thing to master all:
'Tis how a brave man dies on the tree."
A son of God was the Goodly Fere
That bade us his brothers be.
I ha' seen him cow a thousand men.
I have seen him upon the tree.
He cried no cry when they drave the nails
And the blood gushed hot and free,
The hounds of the crimson sky gave tongue
But never a cry cried he.
I ha' seen him cow a thousand men
On the hills o' Galilee,
They whined as he walked out calm between,
Wi' his eyes like the grey o' the sea,
Like the sea that brooks no voyaging
With the winds unleashed and free,
Like the sea that he cowed at Genseret
Wi' twey words spoke' suddently.
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea,
If they think they ha' slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.
I ha' seen him eat o' the honey-comb
Sin' they nailed him to the tree.
Comments about Ballad Of The Goodly Fere by Ezra Pound
Poems About Ballad
- 1. Ballad Of The Goodly Fere , Ezra Pound
- 2. The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 3. Lucy Gray, Or Solitude , William Wordsworth
- 4. The Ballad Of The Children Of The Czar , Delmore Schwartz
- 5. Lord Randall , Anonymous
- 6. The Ballad Of East And West , Rudyard Kipling
- 7. Annabel Lee , Edgar Allan Poe
- 8. The Man From Snowy River , Banjo Paterson
- 9. Ballad Of The Gibbet , François Villon
- 10. The Highwayman , Alfred Noyes
- 11. Waltzing Matilda , Banjo Paterson
- 12. The Nightingale , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 13. A Ballad Of Boding , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 14. Her Immortality , Thomas Hardy
- 15. Maude Clare , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 16. The Second Coming , William Butler Yeats
- 17. Ballade At Thirty-Five , Dorothy Parker
- 18. A Boston Ballad, 1854 , Walt Whitman
- 19. La Belle Dame Sans Merci , John Keats
- 20. Bridal Ballad , Edgar Allan Poe
- 21. Tam Lin , Anonymous
- 22. The Ballad Of The Landlord , Langston Hughes
- 23. Goody Blake And Harry Gill , William Wordsworth
- 24. Edward, Edward , Thomas Percy
- 25. The Man From Iron Bark , Banjo Paterson
- 26. The Legends Of Evil , Rudyard Kipling
- 27. The Ballad Of Moll Magee , William Butler Yeats
- 28. The Face On The Barroom Floor , Hugh Antoine D Arcy
- 29. Hind Horn , Anonymous Americas
- 30. The Foster Mother's Tale. A Dramatic Fr.. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 31. The Lass That Made The Bed To Me , Robert Burns
- 32. The Ballad Of The Dark Ladie. A Fragment. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 33. Ballade To Our Lady Of Czestochowa , Hilaire Belloc
- 34. Clancy Of The Overflow , Banjo Paterson
- 35. The Lady Of Shalott (1842) , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 36. Simon Lee: The Old Huntsman , William Wordsworth
- 37. Gentlemen-Rankers , Rudyard Kipling
- 38. A Ballad Of Burdens , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 39. Ballata 5: Light Do I See Within My Lady.. , Guido Cavalcanti
- 40. The Puritan's Ballad , Elinor Morton Wylie
- 41. We Are Seven , William Wordsworth
- 42. Heather Ale: A Galloway Legend , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 43. The Ballad Of Reading Gaol , Oscar Wilde
- 44. Ballad On The American War , Robert Burns
- 45. The Explanation , Rudyard Kipling
- 46. With Scindia To Delhi , Rudyard Kipling
- 47. As You Came From The Holy Land , Sir Walter Raleigh
- 48. The Three Ravens , Anonymous
- 49. Little Ballads Of Timely Warning; Iii: , Ellis Parker Butler
- 50. The Host Of The Air , William Butler Yeats
New Ballad Poems
- I Love Music,, Liza Sud
- A Never Ending Despair, Jadey Marin
- Y/... Love And Peace, Aufie Zophy
- The Bees(Haiku), Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- True, Jorge Vespucci
- How Do I Feel Today, Russell Crow
- Reading Gaol (Haibun), Thomas James Martin
- Vocalist, Putri Misnia Shary Bahri (Sh ..
- Yr Arddu, john appleby
- East Meets West, A Haiku Sequence, Chenou Liu
- carpe diem