Autumn Poems - Poems For Autumn
Poems about autumn. You can read the best autumn poems. Browse through all autumn poems.
Wild Peaches - Poem by Elinor Morton Wylie
When the world turns completely upside down
You say we'll emigrate to the Eastern Shore
Aboard a river-boat from Baltimore;
We'll live among wild peach trees, miles from town,
You'll wear a coonskin cap, and I a gown
Homespun, dyed butternut's dark gold colour.
Lost, like your lotus-eating ancestor,
We'll swim in milk and honey till we drown.
The winter will be short, the summer long,
The autumn amber-hued, sunny and hot,
Tasting of cider and of scuppernong;
All seasons sweet, but autumn best of all.
The squirrels in their silver fur will fall
Like falling leaves, like fruit, before your shot.
The autumn frosts will lie upon the grass
Like bloom on grapes of purple-brown and gold.
The misted early mornings will be cold;
The little puddles will be roofed with glass.
The sun, which burns from copper into brass,
Melts these at noon, and makes the boys unfold
Their knitted mufflers; full as they can hold
Fat pockets dribble chestnuts as they pass.
Peaches grow wild, and pigs can live in clover;
A barrel of salted herrings lasts a year;
The spring begins before the winter's over.
By February you may find the skins
Of garter snakes and water moccasins
Dwindled and harsh, dead-white and cloudy-clear.
When April pours the colours of a shell
Upon the hills, when every little creek
Is shot with silver from the Chesapeake
In shoals new-minted by the ocean swell,
When strawberries go begging, and the sleek
Blue plums lie open to the blackbird's beak,
We shall live well -- we shall live very well.
The months between the cherries and the peaches
Are brimming cornucopias which spill
Fruits red and purple, sombre-bloomed and black;
Then, down rich fields and frosty river beaches
We'll trample bright persimmons, while you kill
Bronze partridge, speckled quail, and canvasback.
Down to the Puritan marrow of my bones
There's something in this richness that I hate.
I love the look, austere, immaculate,
Of landscapes drawn in pearly monotones.
There's something in my very blood that owns
Bare hills, cold silver on a sky of slate,
A thread of water, churned to milky spate
Streaming through slanted pastures fenced with stones.
I love those skies, thin blue or snowy gray,
Those fields sparse-planted, rendering meagre sheaves;
That spring, briefer than apple-blossom's breath,
Summer, so much too beautiful to stay,
Swift autumn, like a bonfire of leaves,
And sleepy winter, like the sleep of death.
Comments about Wild Peaches by Elinor Morton Wylie
Poems About Autumn
- 1. Wild Peaches , Elinor Morton Wylie
- 2. Chant D'Automne (Song Of Autumn) , Charles Baudelaire
- 3. ! ! It's The Tattered End Of Autumn , Alison Cassidy
- 4. ! Pooh Bear Learns About Enjambment , Michael Shepherd
- 5. Immortal Autumn , Archibald MacLeish
- 6. Autumn , David Wood
- 7. Dolor Of Autumn , David Herbert Lawrence
- 8. Autumn Swing , Unwritten Soul
- 9. George Edmunds' Song , Charles Dickens
- 10. Autumn Thoughts, Sent Far Away , Bai Juyi
- 11. Parfum Exotique (Exotic Perfume) , Charles Baudelaire
- 12. Autumn Is Singing In The Hills , Alison Cassidy
- 13. Autumn Leaves , Sadiqullah Khan
- 14. Autumnal , Katharine Tynan
- 15. Autumn Love , GREENWOLFE 1962
- 16. Forests Of Autumn , Laurie hill
- 17. Word Of Autumn. , Fay Slimm
- 18. Autumn...Will Never Be The Same , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 19. Autumn On The Horizon , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 20. Life Is Lovely All The Year , William Schwenck Gilbert
- 21. L'Ennemi (The Enemy) , Charles Baudelaire
- 22. The Spring—time, O The Spring--Time , Alfred Austin
- 23. The Golden Year! , Alfred Austin
- 24. Autumn Winds , Rosanna Eleanor Leprohon
- 25. Awesomeness Of Autumn , John Knight
- 26. Autumn’s Glow , Marilyn Lott
- 27. ! Autumn In The Northerm Hemisphere, Spr.. , Michael Shepherd
- 28. 0195 Autumn Gardener , Michael Shepherd
- 29. Autumn In July , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 30. Beautiful Leaves Of Autumn , Seema Chowdhury
- 31. Pessimism , Edith Nesbit
- 32. The Autumn Wind , Caroline Elizabeth Sarah Nor ..
- 33. The Red Rose , Abdul Sattar
- 34. Sister's Garden , Georg Trakl
- 35. The Autumn Melody ~ (Semodgomis .. , Tsira Gogeshvili
- 36. Autumn Leaves Changing Colors , Seema Chowdhury
- 37. Picture Songs , George MacDonald
- 38. Accent Of The Autumn - Tanka , Dagmara Anna AuraDagimar
- 39. Days Like This...Remind Me Of You , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 40. Autumn Song , Clarence Michael James Stani ..
- 41. A Day Like No Other... , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 42. Autumn , Indira Renganathan
- 43. I Have Seen Autumn , Shogunoka Ledesma III
- 44. The Sign , Guillaume Apollinaire
- 45. Autumn , Sheila Butterfly
- 46. Three Years Without Winter , PEF (PEF)
- 47. Remembers Of The Life Time , Ioan Rusu
- 48. Wind O' The Autumn , William Henry Ogilvie
- 49. Autumn Feels , Catrina Heart
- 50. Autumn In July (Rated In Group) , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
New Autumn Poems
- Life Is, But Like A Dream, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Autumn Morning Memories, Gerry Legister
- In This Autumn Of The Year, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- One Autumn Day, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Autumn Divine, Chris Schleier, Jr.
- Autumn Sky, Ronald Chapman
- Sigh Of Autumn, qin xing
- We Have The Right To Love Autumn, Mahmoud Darwish
- Autumn Waltz, Kevin Bole
- An Autumn Story, Edgar John Jackson
- carpe diem