You Call Yourself A Poet?
I had a dream the other night
That chilled my very soul,
A demon laughed and caused a fright
And tried to take control...
A poem contest he proclaimed!
He wondered who would win!
He hoped, of course, that I'd be shamed,
A loser, then give in...
He jumped right in, began to write,
Reflecting now and then,
Then smiling wide with pure delight,
Another verse to pen...
I let him finish every line,
Cross t's and dot the i's,
He read it out and it was fine,
If you believed his lies...
Then I began with title penned,
The first verse praised the Lord,
It told of Christ, the Sinner's Friend,
True love as His reward...
The second verse explained the Cross,
The Resurrection, too,
God's victory, despite the loss,
Love shared with me and you...
The third verse mentioned Pentecost,
Three thousand saved by Christ,
Their souls were found, no longer lost,
That's why they were baptised...
I read the poem loud and proud,
The demon's smile drooped down,
He slinked away, his sad head bowed,
As if to hide his frown...
The winner wasn't thus declared,
He couldn't say a thing!
He simply stood, looked back and glared,
With no more pride to cling...
When I awoke, my poem stayed,
It's framed upon my wall,
The only pride in Christ displayed,
Right there, for one and all...
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (You Call Yourself A Poet? by Denis Martindale )
- The Swing, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The old water tower., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Comforted, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Taken you back in time., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Joe, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Lifting Blinders, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Then I Had None, Harold R Hunt Sr
- America, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Darkened Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Contemplation-6, another key...., Marshall Gass
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)