Would It Really Matter
Would it really matter if we didn't get up today.
Didn't go to work and just stayed home to play.
If we just stood idly by and left the work undone
Cast away the chores and just went and had some fun.
Whoever set the precedence of working through the day
To come home jaded tired, exhausted from the fray.
Must have had a sad existence tied to the work ideal
just like running endless circles on the hamsters wheel.
All work and no play, the bills, they cripple and sometimes slay.
Those who don't take time to stop and say
'What about me, this is wrong'
Then go and have some wine and song.
To break the chains of work and toil
does the soul good every once in a while.
Would it really matter if we took a little time out,
to let our hair down and laugh, scream and shout.
Release all those frustrations and keep the beast in check.
'cause if we don't let off some steam,
we'll wind up a quivering wreck.
Mark Dillon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Would It Really Matter by Mark Dillon )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila
- The Main Ingredient, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Missing From Action, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter
- Fishing Village, sheena blackhall
- Skull, Mark R Slaughter