Would It Really Matter
Would it really matter if we didn't get up today.
Didn't go to work and just stayed home to play.
If we just stood idly by and left the work undone
Cast away the chores and just went and had some fun.
Whoever set the precedence of working through the day
To come home jaded tired, exhausted from the fray.
Must have had a sad existence tied to the work ideal
just like running endless circles on the hamsters wheel.
All work and no play, the bills, they cripple and sometimes slay.
Those who don't take time to stop and say
'What about me, this is wrong'
Then go and have some wine and song.
To break the chains of work and toil
does the soul good every once in a while.
Would it really matter if we took a little time out,
to let our hair down and laugh, scream and shout.
Release all those frustrations and keep the beast in check.
'cause if we don't let off some steam,
we'll wind up a quivering wreck.
Mark Dillon's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Would It Really Matter by Mark Dillon )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Father's Admonition, Tony Adah
- Those who lose, Luv Artem
- The Making of Me: Tune Me Up, Niealie Petit
- Show Your Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Time Is Of Love, Naveed Akram
- The Wings Of Time, Noah Body
- Passing By The Pond, Tony Adah
- Ode to Now, David Whalen
- The Girl and her Dragon, Kevin Maroney
- What is Life, Andrea Cortesi