A composition of Kanakadasa
English translation by C.P. Ravikumar
A dip in the holy river seems redundant
When the company you keep is truthful.
The fear of going hungry has no meaning
When the Lord has the strings in control.
You seek knowledge, but it is of little use -
When you pay no attention to teachers or elders
You work on sculpting your body, but why,
When it brings no solace to others?
Has life any meaning, with no prayers to the Lord?
Of what use is a king who protects not his followers?
Of what use is wealth that one cannot share or consume?
Of what value is life when you live without dignity?
Why live among those who only count your negatives?
Why make a fortune when you can't share with your fraternity?
Of what use is a wife that follows not her husband's signs?
Of what use is friendship that recognizes no differences?
You have brought nothing with you, then why do you expect returns?
With Lord Keshava of Kaginele on our side, why do we seek any others?
Ravikumar C.P.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Wisdom by Ravikumar C.P. )
- Close not, gajanan mishra
- When I Was A Birch Tree, Richard Provencher
- Damsel of Paradise, ramesh rai
- Satellite Feed, Susan Lacovara
- Feeling Victorious, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- In A Creche In The Mountains, Robert Rorabeck
- Save yourself, gajanan mishra
- True love.....?, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.21, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.20, Monk E. Biz