In the corner of a cluttered room
Sits a single rose wilting away
Still in its vase drooping low
A rose that seen a better day.
The rose that was a pure white sight
Has browned from the age of time
It's outer beauty no longer there
No longer is it sublime.
The natural perfume that filled the room
Has faded in the air
Its velvet touch from the petals once fresh
Now withered and dead, a true despair.
Given long ago as a gift to a love
To express love's true emotion
A single rose for a single beauty
The lover's true devotion.
Yet time goes by and so did love
But here the rose wants to remain
To never die out and keep living on
Hoping someday love will regain.
In filthy water the rose did wilt
To live it really tried
Yet a wilting rose must accept the fact
That the love has truly died.
Topic of this poem: rose
Genevieve Pilat's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Wilting Rose by Genevieve Pilat )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Exercises Of The Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Accounting For Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Best Is To Forget, Shalom Freedman
- Esta noche, Sergio Jaime
- My Pen Is Happy, King Happy
- All of The Above, King Happy
- In a Minute, King Happy
- Knowing and accepting, gajanan mishra
- Lady of Enigma, NimmyMAry Kurian