Why do we write poetry?
Well I do not know about everybody,
but I can tell you for a lot of people.
When we are tired and bored about
facts of everyday life,
of general things considered.
Of facts so pitifully practical
and that pinches all the time.
When to do something special,
to give something to this earth
before going away.
The holy book says there is nothing you can give
and your pitiful
day to day existence is also a stubborn fact
from which nothing shall be taken.
When the end of the world is questioned
over and over, and
you don't know heads and tails of it.
Then words come out of your mouth,
before and until you die.
Words and facts mingled with
A truth ushers the change of the present
and fills up your hearth.
I can tell you how powerful the body
looks when it is stripped naked
lying there, waiting to go
into the pyre.
A simple truth like this
is what why we write poetry.
To know the end of the world
where although we haven't given or
taken anything but still
our heart, our hearth is filled up.
subhadip bhattacharya's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Why Poetry by subhadip bhattacharya )
- Rainbow Looms, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ngiyindodana yakwa Zulu, senzokhaya umhayi
- Uyakhumbula, senzokhaya umhayi
- Wedwa, senzokhaya umhayi
- time or space?, ko the skipper
- The Truth Are From The Laws, Edward Kofi Louis
- The Sadness Of This World, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Could Be Out In The Rain, Vigna Mukund
- Equations: Friend Or Enemy, Guess Who
- Waiting for Dawn, Somanathan Iyer