Whumplethump goes Missing (Part One)
I think I've lost poor Whumplethump
I had him yesterday,
I put him in the garden
And left him there to play.
But when I went to look for him
He's nowhere to be found,
It could be that he's hiding
So I'll have a look around.
I'll search the shed and flowerbed
And look beneath the hedge,
Investigate below the gate
Then check the window ledge.
I'll look around the apple tree
And under that old log,
If I still can't find him
I'll check inside the dog!
I don't think Jake could swallow him
A Whumplethump's too big,
But on the other hand, of course
That dog's a real pig!
I've known him eat a Whigglewoggle
Whole, with just one bite,
And watched him hunt for Whumplethumps
On cold and moonlit nights.
I do not think he'd catch one
They're very clever things,
They're short and fat with corkscrew legs
And little leather wings.
Their heads are flat, with purple eyes
Their hair, two shades of green,
Their ears can travel up and down
Which makes their hearing keen.
They feast on creepy crawlies
That they find upon the lawn,
They get up very early
To hunt for slugs at dawn.
But most of all they love cream cakes
And currant buns, as well,
The problem is that mixing them
Creates a dreadful smell.
Then you can sense them coming
Even though they're out of sight,
Coz the blue fog they've created
Can block out the strongest light.
So what I'll do is get some cakes
And place them on the lawn,
Then hide among the bushes
Waiting patiently till dawn.
_ _ _ _ _ _ To be continued
Owain Glyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Whumplethump goes Missing (Part One) by Owain Glyn )
- In Living Memory (11-22-63), John F. McCullagh
- Music, Fatima Nusairat
- what swanky sap is this?, Mandolyn ...
- Natural, David Chap Bottoms
- I end poem, hasmukh amathalal
- here's my armadillo, now get me a pillow.., Mandolyn ...
- A, Vera Sidhwa
- With her ability, hasmukh amathalal
- Inhuman way, hasmukh amathalal
- THERE IS…, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)