Where Beginning Begins...
are we the clowns of eternity's fair?
we who drink madness,
who are tortured by the smallest web.
we who pack daylight in cardboard boxes,
who follow the trail of the broom and blade.
we who dance on the ancients' graves,
who tear splinters from the fingers of god.
who destroy kingdoms of sticks and stone,
as if we dared to be the wind!
who bury our children with drunken desire,
and cling like leaves to their memories...
we who eat the fingers of the forgotten old,
and pray with footprints on abandoned porches.
ah, but all is not lost, or perhaps it is...
one never knows that which is not lost!
while joy falls like winter rain,
and love whispers in the ears of silence.
as the branches gather in forgotten nooks,
and steam rises from prayers of dung.
squirrels gather over brandy and broth,
stoned on busy and thoughtless heat.
your hand or mine, there be nothing forbidden...
where there are no maps desire leads!
i have no regrets, all is spent.
the curtain is drawn, the window broken.
history a vein on a leaf consumed,
by dirt, as all must be!
i want you, the moon still pulls,
the waves rear and turn with force.
till time is lost, and perhaps beyond,
to the darkness where beginning begins.
Eric Cockrell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Where Beginning Begins... by Eric Cockrell )
- a symphony, Cee Bea
- one shouldn't, Neelapu Suresh
- Spring Wood, Knutsford: my place of play, Mark Heathcote
- Mrs. Ullrick, Akhtar Jawad
- See the Beauty of Heaven, Aftab Alam
- Changes after being In love, Sneha Celine
- The Tailor's Daughter - III (The Underw.., Chris Zachariou
- Quicksand of That Good Woman, Donal Mahoney
- Does Remain Lastingly, Rohit Sapra
- Martyrs at the Borders, DOMINIC K V
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 February 1874 – 12 May 1925)