Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
When You Loved Me
When you loved me,
There were always rainbows
In the sky,
When you loved me,
The world sang a lullaby.
There was a concert in my heart,
That only I could hear.
The music played on forever,
When you loved me dear.
All things great and small,
Knew you loved me too,
They sang love songs, some old
And some brand new.
The bees and frogs sang bass,
The flowers sang the melody,
Butterflies sang the high notes,
Birds sang harmony with sunbeams,
When you loved me...
But those days are gone,
Only dark clouds are in the sky.
The world is silent, there are no lullabies.
I re-read your last letter,
The words smudged by my tears,
You said our love was forever,
Your words were sweet and clear,
Words written so tenderly, my dear, when you loved me.
2: 30 p.m.
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When You Loved Me by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- Feminine Beauty, chanchal gupta
- Alone again, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- [Challenge] Entrees for September (Disqu.., Brian Johnston
- Indulgences, Jayatissa Liyanage
- From The Balcony, Heather Burns
- Ang undubai, Shri R Brahma
- 10 January 2014, Shri R Brahma
- October is next to September تشرين الاول.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- October is next to September, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I feel bored, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns