Edgar Albert Guest
When Pa Counts
Pa's not so very big or brave; he can't lift weights like Uncle Jim;
His hands are soft like little girls'; most anyone could wallop him.
Ma weighs a whole lot more than Pa. When they go swimming, she could stay
Out in the river all day long, but Pa gets frozen right away.
But when the thunder starts to roll, an' lightnin' spits, Ma says, ' Oh, dear,
I'm sure we'll all of us be killed. I only wish your Pa was here.'
Pa's cheeks are thin an' kinder pale; he couldn't rough it worth a cent.
He couldn't stand the hike we had the day the Boy Scouts camping went.
He has to hire a man to dig the garden, coz his back gets lame,
An' he'd be crippled for a week, if he should play a baseball game.
But when a thunder storm comes up, Ma sits an' shivers in the gloam
An' every time the thunder rolls, she says: ' I wish your Pa was home.'
I don't know just what Pa could do if he were home, he seems so frail,
But every time the skies grow black I notice Ma gets rather pale.
An' when she's called us children in, an' locked the windows an' the doors,
She jumps at every lightnin' flash an' trembles when the thunder roars.
An' when the baby starts to cry, she wrings her hands an' says: 'Oh, dear!
It's terrible! It's terrible! I only wish your Pa was here.'
Edgar Albert Guest's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (When Pa Counts by Edgar Albert Guest )
- Awakening, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Ours, Neela Nath
- Abstinence, Angela K Brown
- It Makes You Sad, mary douglas
- Let light be, hasmukh amathalal
- People of the Fourth World, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Rising Evil, SREEJITH KULAPARAMBIL
- Orphan, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- Verbum Caro, Translation of Pierre Emman.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- ''Heartbeat'', Patricia Grantham
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(15 April 1958)