WHAT THE WATER THINKS
The water doesn't know
and when I turn away
peels off the name
I've given it.
it has to spend
so much time
peeling off all the names
that defile it.
'Why don't humans
just let it be! '
'Why have all this need to name? '
Weary the water
puts up with us.
the water smiles.
'Now that's more like it! '
Dónall Dempsey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (WHAT THE WATER THINKS by Dónall Dempsey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- 'It Is Nothing To write Home About', Almedia Knight Oliver
- Tyranny, Amitava Sur
- Be Near Heaven's Door, Naveed Akram
- On The Brink Of Insanity, Michael Webb
- Just Passing Through, Lora Colon
- Clarified Heart, Naveed Akram
- Walls and Weight and a Wake, Trevor Toews
- Best Friends, Francie Lynch
- This Afternoon, Trevor Toews
- Trash or Treasure, Trevor Toews