What Is A Heart Bereft Of Hope?
Hope brings me strength; hope brings me joy.
Hope uplifts my mind towards the sky.
Hope is that magic beyond all logic,
That makes me smile or run over a mile.
Imprisoned by sorrow when my heart does mourn,
Hope, my anchor, inspires me towards the dawn.
Then my winged feet carry me across grief's line,
Willingly I drown in the quicksand of past time.
Remorse withdrawn new courage is born,
Ignoring the cruel sundial of age I'm gone-
Far away where the glimmer of hope I can see,
Clearly transform sad feelings to comfort me.
When with heavy heart my thoughts I strum,
Oblivious to this noisy world I begin to hum……..
What is a heart bereft of new hopes?
- Simply an object that in darkness gropes.
If life had more hope than despair,
Could we our sorrow not repair?
And if it were the other way round
Would we not die without a sound?
pam handa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (What Is A Heart Bereft Of Hope? by pam handa )
- Grandma's Hands, Angela K Brown
- For the Colored Girl, Angela K Brown
- Dark Skin, Angela K Brown
- Na Na, Angela K Brown
- Among The Nations, Richard Provencher
- Rest, Thomas Plotz
- No one can beat, hasmukh amathalal
- Football Rally, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Vegas Bikes, Angela K Brown
- Hip Hop Bird, Angela K Brown
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns