What Is A Heart Bereft Of Hope?
Hope brings me strength; hope brings me joy.
Hope uplifts my mind towards the sky.
Hope is that magic beyond all logic,
That makes me smile or run over a mile.
Imprisoned by sorrow when my heart does mourn,
Hope, my anchor, inspires me towards the dawn.
Then my winged feet carry me across grief's line,
Willingly I drown in the quicksand of past time.
Remorse withdrawn new courage is born,
Ignoring the cruel sundial of age I'm gone-
Far away where the glimmer of hope I can see,
Clearly transform sad feelings to comfort me.
When with heavy heart my thoughts I strum,
Oblivious to this noisy world I begin to hum……..
What is a heart bereft of new hopes?
- Simply an object that in darkness gropes.
If life had more hope than despair,
Could we our sorrow not repair?
And if it were the other way round
Would we not die without a sound?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (What Is A Heart Bereft Of Hope? by pam handa )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou