What I'm Made Of/Lock and Key
I knew the day you met me
That you could see straight through
You told me things about myself
That no one ever knew.
You saw the place that I was in,
You knew the risks at hand.
I care so much, but with you, I wonder
Do you even give a damn?
You have plundered through my mind,
You’ve made off with my soul.
And secretly I’m just trying to be
Someone you want to know.
My heart’s still under lock and key,
But the battle’s nearly lost.
Your kiss has set my soul on fire;
My mind has paid the cost.
You now know where I keep that key,
The one that could destroy
But before proceeding, let me warn you,
My heart is not a toy.
If you try to take that key,
Be prepared for what you’ll find.
A broken, messed up, crazy child
Getting stronger all the time.
See I could rip you to pieces, if I wanted,
I could tear your world to shreds.
But the sad truth is
And shh, don’t tell,
I could never do as said.
I could never tear your world to shreds,
Never rip you into pieces
Because you know how to find that key
And I need you to see this:
You’ll see my secrets and desires
All my hurts and heartaches
You get this special privilege;
Don’t let it go to waste.
So I’ll throw back some whiskey,
And you’ll light one more up
Then if you want, come turn the key,
Please: come see what I am made of.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What I'm Made Of/Lock and Key by Madison Valerio )
- Fill Yourself, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Moving Along Avenues, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Gift, Michael McParland
- Between Silence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Transcending Life On Earth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Hare And His Wife, Tony Adah
- Pussy So Good, Joseph Rodriguez
- Novel Approaches, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Are Too Beautiful For Me, Mark Webster
- Living Through Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)