What Do You See?
What do you see? Those eyes. Staring.
You're not looking at me, you're looking past me.
You're looking through me. What do you see?
I'm unclean, I know. No one knows, but you.
What do you see? All my shame and guilt?
Scars so deep? Scars, those scars.
They shouldn't be there in the first place.
No one sees them, but you. I'm sure of it.
It's the way you look at me.
Those eyes, dark, yet so soft.
Your stare, so penetrating.
Tell me, what do you see?
All my deepest and darkest secrets.
Do you see them? When you stare?
You never say. I pray it doesn't frighten you away.
I'm ashamed, but please stay
Tell me, what do you see, when you look at me?
Ninette Gumanda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Do You See? by Ninette Gumanda )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- My Trip, Donald Revell
- Comatose, Beatrice Preti
- मोदै गदोँ बिखानि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Please Set Me Free, Hailey Stump
- where is my voice?, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- नै मिथिँगा अनजालि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Living And Going., Tony Adah
- The Little Martyr, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- बारसे बिबार बारदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- # When #, Aparna Chatterjee