What Do You See?
What do you see? Those eyes. Staring.
You're not looking at me, you're looking past me.
You're looking through me. What do you see?
I'm unclean, I know. No one knows, but you.
What do you see? All my shame and guilt?
Scars so deep? Scars, those scars.
They shouldn't be there in the first place.
No one sees them, but you. I'm sure of it.
It's the way you look at me.
Those eyes, dark, yet so soft.
Your stare, so penetrating.
Tell me, what do you see?
All my deepest and darkest secrets.
Do you see them? When you stare?
You never say. I pray it doesn't frighten you away.
I'm ashamed, but please stay
Tell me, what do you see, when you look at me?
Ninette Gumanda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Do You See? by Ninette Gumanda )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Rainbow's Promise, renu kakkar
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- You are all here, gajanan mishra
- Blue Wedding Bells Ring, Ken e Hall
- The Battleground, Leong Ming Loong
- An inner core, hasmukh amathalal
- Indeed I am no good so by Rasul Gamzatov, Yuri Starostin
- 1400 grams of wisdom (Merry Christmas), devon da poet
- Aspirations Inherited, Perveiz Ali
- Chimp Chomp - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Night Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- '' Life And Death '', bri mar