Welcome To The Real World
I’m beginning to understand.
I saw a sign once
outside a church. It said
Are you really living
or just walking around
to save the expense of a funeral?
I didn’t know
that Love is real life,
and everything else
just a more or less entertaining way
And I didn’t know
that Love is like nothing on earth.
Love isn’t what you fall in.
It’s what pulls you out
of what you fall in.
Love isn’t a good feeling.
Love is doing good
when you’re feeling bad.
Love means hanging in
when everyone else
shrugs their shoulders
and goes off to McDonalds.
Love means taking the knocks
and coming back
to try to make things better.
It’s its way of telling you
that you’re alive.
And the funny thing is that after all
Love does feel good.
People say Love is weak.
But love is tougher than hate.
Most of us have a gift for it.
But Love counts to ten
while Hate slams the door.
Love says you
where Hate says me.
Love is the strongest weapon
known to mankind.
Other weapons blow people up.
Only Love puts them back together again.
And everything that seems real,
that looks smart,
that feels good,
has a sell-by date.
But Love has no sell-by date.
Love is Long Life.
Love is the ultimate preservative.
I don’t know too much about Love
but I know a man who does,
up there on the cross
loving us to death.
Love is the key
to the door of the place
he’s prepared for you
in the kingdom of God.
If you’re beginning to understand
then welcome to the real world.
Godfrey Rust's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Welcome To The Real World by Godfrey Rust )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(c. 600 BCE)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo
- I'll Always, Michael P. McParland
- Have Faith, Michael P. McParland
- Grace Me, Michael P. McParland
- farewell 'to the winter solders that los.., ademola oluwabusayo
- Soul, Jordan Myrie
- Goodnight Prayer(For You), Michael P. McParland