We Were Boys
Let's put away our childish toys
We men we all come from small boys
We run we climb, we cover ourselves with grime
Our screaming and our filth is our joys.
We curse and we spit as we are boys
Fighting and shouting we make our noise
We throw sticks and rocks, we won’t wear socks.
Our lifestyle as imps we proudly poise.
We run through the rain we play in the mud
Our merit badges is our scars and blood
We sport black eyes, they are our grand prize
We’ll run towards tornado’s and we’ll swim in a flood.
Girls we see them as our enemy
They are sweet and gentle and they will not tame me
They won’t run and play, their parents they obey
We want only friends and they want a family.
Now one day a suit and tie it must be worn
The playgrounds of our yesterdays we will sadly mourn
But for those days we must not grieve, we must truly believe
That one day to us men, a son will be born.
Randy L. McClave
Randy McClave's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (We Were Boys by Randy McClave )
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.54, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.53, Monk E. Biz
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.52, Monk E. Biz
- That Kid Is Me, Luis Estable
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.51, Monk E. Biz
- Behind The Mountains, Bismark Sosu
- Sonnet # 530, Luis Estable
- Jesus saw in me what others failed to see, Royston Allen
- Seasons Away, Bismark Sosu
- "What manner of Man is this? ".., Royston Allen
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)