Nobody likes me
I’m a little black seed
let me climb above the vine
and be a watermelon tree.
I’m white and I’m round
people like to spit me out
I’m not ready to break free
but I want to get out.
People say I’m fresh and sweet
but they soon get tired of me
I’m not wanted unless it’s hot
everyone’s so watery.
I have nothing left in life
I am nothing but a rind
the world has eaten all my sweetness
and left me here to die.
How can I protect everyone?
I’m just the watermelon prison
when I’m ripe they’ll get their knives
and cut this world open.
Kelly Zion's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Watermelon Prison by Kelly Zion )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- My Heart Was True... Why Not You, LAURA EGGEBRECHT
- Why Wouldn't Amina Jilani Write8, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- Why Wouldn't the Indus Wash Away Our Sor.., Afzal Ahmed Syed
- Aladdin's Lamp, Aftab Alam
- Time Is Against Them, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- For Us, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- The Death of Stella D'Cruz1, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- If My Voice Is Not Reaching You, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- DE-HOLOCAUSTIZE THE SIX MILLION JEWS, alexander opicho
- Pen And Paper, ali chukwuemeka