war and gore
A series of catastrophes that ends
in victory: thus Clemenceau once defined
once spilt from victory cannot be refined;
and is the price of all its dividends.
Inspired by a saying of Georges Clemenceau, French Prime Minister after November 17,1917 who supported the policy of total war – “We present ourselves before you with the single thought of total war” ––and the policy of “la guerre jusqu'au bout” (war until the end) , stated: “War is a series of catastrophes that ends in victory.” This saying of Clemenceau was quoted by Robert Messenger in a review of a book about the battle of the Marne,1914 by Holger H. Herwig (“The Cruel Path to Impasse, ” WSJ, December 3,2009) . He points out that the reason why Germany was unable to win the war in 1914 is because the Schlieffen Plan that Helmut von Moltke wsa supposed to implement was too vague and von Moltke “let his disputatious commanders––some brilliant, some over the hill––make their own decisions, all too often conflicting. The result was chaos, and yet the Germans nearly won, thanks to the excellence of their troops.”
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (war and gore by gershon hepner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Sir Walter Scott
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- The law of these times, Ravikumar C.P.
- So Many Minds Are Left Fractured, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Mystic Blake, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Today's World, Leong Ming Loong
- Thoughts in the Moonlight, Luo Zhihai
- Tales Of A Wife: Honeymoon, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Guard well, gajanan mishra
- The Photographer, Ravikumar C.P.
- Tuavatara!, Ravikumar C.P.
- Mystery Caller, Ravikumar C.P.