Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer
Waiting For The Ferry
Yonder sits the tree of valour,
Whose head was once covered with golden crown.
A mighty and deadly allergy to failure,
Whom skin was beautifully brown.
How many mighty men had fallen under its shade?
Yet, the cowards he had shaded from horrors.
The sight of his fearful and wondrous shape,
Sending cold shiver down the spines of warriors.
The orphans his sweet fruits had fed,
And the birds on his branches had roosted.
Great animals under his shadow found bed,
And firmly on his feet, he stayed rooted.
There sits the tree of valour,
Whom head is now a carpet of grey.
A fearful reminder of inevitable failure,
Waiting patiently to be captured as if a prey.
Day and night, he bends his long stem,
Waiting for the arrival of the ferry,
To transport him away from this system,
Beyond the seven rivers of no merry.
When then will the ferry arrive,
And sail him to the glories beyond?
So his last joy he could derive,
From the last journey of no return.
Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Waiting For The Ferry by Babatunde Idowu Ebenezer )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Almost Gone..., Leonard Champlin
- Who are you, ms. carrot
- More love...sort of., Leonard Champlin
- All Who Remain, John F. McCullagh
- The Life, Leonard Champlin
- SECOND DREAMS, Dwitun Basumatary
- BUTTERFLIES AND ROGUES, Dwitun Basumatary
- LAUGH OF THE SHE PROFESSOR, Dwitun Basumatary
- What If...?, Leonard Champlin
- HEARTQUAKES, Dwitun Basumatary