The other day Deborah and I were discussing the wonders in America we can see.
We realized how lucky we were to live in a land where we were free.
A land where freedom allows us to come and go as we please
Where we are afforded the ability to travel around with ease
It made me wonder about freedom and what that word entails
From the many different forms it takes to the miracles it unveils.
V- Freedom is not Voluntary in this or any land
It is the right of every individual...something to demand.
E- Freedom, true freedom, when all is said and done
Enhances and respects the freedoms of Everyone.
T- Freedom is Tolerant of others and unequivocally embraces
The differences between us that tyranny erases.
E- Freedom is what we pray for at the bedside of every birth
For freedom, as Abe Lincoln knew, is the last best hope on Earth.
T- Freedom must Radiate from each of us, it’s a song the world must sing
From every bell in every church freedom’s message should always ring.
A- Freedom derives from Action, it should be the goal of you and me
That every person in this world can say with confidence, “I am free.”
N- And though most of us in this country know freedom and feel blessed
We must remember No one is truly free when others are oppressed.
S- Finally freedom is Spiritual, it truly make a person whole
When the freedom in their heart matches the freedom in their soul.
Today we celebrate Veterans, it’s a day to formally address
And thank the veterans for the freedoms all Americans possess.
Ah, but freedom is a curious thing...as many with freedom have forgot
That either everyone on Earth is free...or everyone is not.
So we pray for the day people everywhere will come and go as they please
That they’ll be afforded the ability to travel around with ease
We pray that someday in every corner of our planet freedom will be on display
But until then be thankful for the freedoms we have...and thank a veteran today.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Veterans Day by Jim Yerman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Little While, Luo Zhihai
- Tomb-sweeping Day, Miss Our Grandpa and .., Luo Zhihai
- Not Tied To Limits Of Reality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tolerancee is...., hasmukh amathalal
- Recalling Sequences, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sleep, Adam Latham
- Dead To You, Dexsta Ray
- Act Of Charity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Vengeance, Leong Ming Loong
- Syllable Of Meaning, RoseAnn V. Shawiak