Upon Discovering A Losing Raffle Ticket
I didn't win
No one called in a congratulatory roar
Announcing I could claim my prize
Start spending without reason
Share the wealth of my windfall
Crawl out of this hole dug too deep
Number 503379 died a dismal death
Unnoticed, lying buried in a drawer
It's fading breath saying 'I'm sorry...
You are still who you always are...'
Like an insult to injury...
(Pun, truthfully intended)
I am mocked by the ticket, intact
With it's picture piles of cash and coins
Staring up stunningly saying
And again and again
I am not a gambling sort
As luck would have it...
Reminded that life is always
A 50/50 chance, to be taken
Will it rain....50/50 odds
Will the operation be a success...
Odds are in your favor
Will this relationship last...
Only if you agree to meet halfway...
A 50/50 compromise
Does life look better past 50
Should I cave, and place my bet...
On the back of the stub
Reads a warning....never noticed it til now
Written in all capitalized letters
As if screaming a lecture at me
'ATTENTION: THE PERSON USING THIS TICKET
ASSUMES ALL RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY, LOSS,
THEFT OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY. MANAGEMENT WILL
DESIGNATE WHERE HOLDER IS TO BE SEATED OR PARKED
AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVOKE THE LICENSE
GRANTED BY THIS TICKET'
For the life of me, I can't remember
Where I bought this raffle
What it was it promised
Why I believed it would be
My ticket out...
But after reading the hidden disclaimer
I am almost certain I am okay
Not having secured the win...
Susan Lacovara's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Upon Discovering A Losing Raffle Ticket by Susan Lacovara )
Did you read them?
- A Hymn, Sir Henry Wotton
- Raja Ravi Varma, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Psalm CIV, Sir Henry Wotton
- Friendship, Afshan Fatima
- Shaking Off The Finger Tip, Is It Poetry
- Golden Glow, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Prayer, Nicholas Breton
- Invective: The Hate Of Treason, Nicholas Breton
- Goodbye Elias, Tony Adah
- On The END, Akhil Zoomin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)