Upon Discovering A Losing Raffle Ticket
I didn't win
No one called in a congratulatory roar
Announcing I could claim my prize
Start spending without reason
Share the wealth of my windfall
Crawl out of this hole dug too deep
Number 503379 died a dismal death
Unnoticed, lying buried in a drawer
It's fading breath saying 'I'm sorry...
You are still who you always are...'
Like an insult to injury...
(Pun, truthfully intended)
I am mocked by the ticket, intact
With it's picture piles of cash and coins
Staring up stunningly saying
And again and again
I am not a gambling sort
As luck would have it...
Reminded that life is always
A 50/50 chance, to be taken
Will it rain....50/50 odds
Will the operation be a success...
Odds are in your favor
Will this relationship last...
Only if you agree to meet halfway...
A 50/50 compromise
Does life look better past 50
Should I cave, and place my bet...
On the back of the stub
Reads a warning....never noticed it til now
Written in all capitalized letters
As if screaming a lecture at me
'ATTENTION: THE PERSON USING THIS TICKET
ASSUMES ALL RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY, LOSS,
THEFT OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY. MANAGEMENT WILL
DESIGNATE WHERE HOLDER IS TO BE SEATED OR PARKED
AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVOKE THE LICENSE
GRANTED BY THIS TICKET'
For the life of me, I can't remember
Where I bought this raffle
What it was it promised
Why I believed it would be
My ticket out...
But after reading the hidden disclaimer
I am almost certain I am okay
Not having secured the win...
Susan Lacovara's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Upon Discovering A Losing Raffle Ticket by Susan Lacovara )
- we are free to follow their rules. Is th.., jannella aryton
- Soul Sighter, michael walkerjohn
- I Don't Want To Be but I want to., Menkato Awomi
- Treasure Island, Akhtar Jawad
- I Love You- -II, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burkhawalli, Tumhe Kis Karke Paya Ki Tum.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do Not Forget, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bade Miyan, Cchote Miyan Aur Bukhawalli, Bijay Kant Dubey
- z, Vera Sidhwa
- (A) Bio-Environ-P0em, Nyein Way
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- My Wishes, Yasmin Rubayo
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow