Upon Discovering A Losing Raffle Ticket
I didn't win
No one called in a congratulatory roar
Announcing I could claim my prize
Start spending without reason
Share the wealth of my windfall
Crawl out of this hole dug too deep
Number 503379 died a dismal death
Unnoticed, lying buried in a drawer
It's fading breath saying 'I'm sorry...
You are still who you always are...'
Like an insult to injury...
(Pun, truthfully intended)
I am mocked by the ticket, intact
With it's picture piles of cash and coins
Staring up stunningly saying
And again and again
I am not a gambling sort
As luck would have it...
Reminded that life is always
A 50/50 chance, to be taken
Will it rain....50/50 odds
Will the operation be a success...
Odds are in your favor
Will this relationship last...
Only if you agree to meet halfway...
A 50/50 compromise
Does life look better past 50
Should I cave, and place my bet...
On the back of the stub
Reads a warning....never noticed it til now
Written in all capitalized letters
As if screaming a lecture at me
'ATTENTION: THE PERSON USING THIS TICKET
ASSUMES ALL RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY, LOSS,
THEFT OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY. MANAGEMENT WILL
DESIGNATE WHERE HOLDER IS TO BE SEATED OR PARKED
AND RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVOKE THE LICENSE
GRANTED BY THIS TICKET'
For the life of me, I can't remember
Where I bought this raffle
What it was it promised
Why I believed it would be
My ticket out...
But after reading the hidden disclaimer
I am almost certain I am okay
Not having secured the win...
Susan Lacovara's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Upon Discovering A Losing Raffle Ticket by Susan Lacovara )
Did you read them?
- when i loved you and you loved her and s.., Mandolyn ...
- LOve is replaced, hasmukh amathalal
- The lonely wolf, denise nixon
- He Sleeps Too Much, Jena Crowe
- Halloween Night, Neela Nath
- The Power Of Faith!, Tom Zart
- Desacralized..., Dorothy Kardas, Psy.D. Th.D.
- Pay attention, gajanan mishra
- The Sun Has Collapsed, Naveed Akram
- Auto-bond, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Ozymandias, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(20 August 1948)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)