Those two lone pilgrims of void routes,
my dark pupils, had fainted away-
under sway of his eyes.
I saw that he was waving-
on the entirety of my verve:
Like an immense fire in the wind;
Like the waltz of a sleeping lake-
under the stroke of rocks;
Like grey, thick clouds-
in the crisis of storm;
Like breathless skies-
in warm, humid days.
He was extended,
up to infinity,
down to the other side.
I saw myself thawing,
with seizing bends of his hands.
And I sank in the opaque steam of my substance.
The bewitching rhymes of his heart-
at last took away the air-
from the chants-
of my breath.
The time hastily flew away.
The drape went off with the wind.
I had surrounded him,
in the circle of flames.
I felt like calling,
but I had to leave-
with the flood of his eyes…
They streamed from extremes of night-
along the long limbs of desire and thirst,
to the morose vibration of fever,
to the lost end of me.
I felt released.
I felt released.
I saw my skin cracking in the expansion of love.
I saw my burning mass, slowly melted;
melted and poured, poured, poured.
It poured in the moon,
that waned, slight,
We had cried in each other.
In that fleeting instant of unison-
We had lived madly in each other.
Translation: Maryam Dilmaghani, June 2006, Montreal.
Forough Farrokhzad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Unison by Forough Farrokhzad )
- The Piano Player, Stacy L. Mar
- How To Some It Tastes, Is It Poetry
- Snapshot Summer, Stacy L. Mar
- yeah, i'm in love. get over it, Mandolyn ...
- Blue Matter, Stacy L. Mar
- Dont dance my body, onzia dan
- Pizza Talk and English Beer, Stacy L. Mar
- Hurting 2, Michael McParland
- Pen it down, Mokhtari Houssam eddine
- Mountain Parkway, Stacy L. Mar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns