Those two lone pilgrims of void routes,
my dark pupils, had fainted away-
under sway of his eyes.
I saw that he was waving-
on the entirety of my verve:
Like an immense fire in the wind;
Like the waltz of a sleeping lake-
under the stroke of rocks;
Like grey, thick clouds-
in the crisis of storm;
Like breathless skies-
in warm, humid days.
He was extended,
up to infinity,
down to the other side.
I saw myself thawing,
with seizing bends of his hands.
And I sank in the opaque steam of my substance.
The bewitching rhymes of his heart-
at last took away the air-
from the chants-
of my breath.
The time hastily flew away.
The drape went off with the wind.
I had surrounded him,
in the circle of flames.
I felt like calling,
but I had to leave-
with the flood of his eyes…
They streamed from extremes of night-
along the long limbs of desire and thirst,
to the morose vibration of fever,
to the lost end of me.
I felt released.
I felt released.
I saw my skin cracking in the expansion of love.
I saw my burning mass, slowly melted;
melted and poured, poured, poured.
It poured in the moon,
that waned, slight,
We had cried in each other.
In that fleeting instant of unison-
We had lived madly in each other.
Translation: Maryam Dilmaghani, June 2006, Montreal.
Forough Farrokhzad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Unison by Forough Farrokhzad )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- A Statue for the Rev.Ian Paisley, Barney Rooney
- For Francis Jude Omoto (1982-2006), Dankaro Osazee
- Haiku Snowflakes, Kwai Chee Low
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Haiku Christmas is Here, Kwai Chee Low
- Snowman, Kwai Chee Low
- Heralding Christmas, Kwai Chee Low
- Under the Mistletoe, Kwai Chee Low
- Silent Nature, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sorry, Sorry, Sorry To Say That, Pijush Biswas