Unheralded Poet.... [POETS; Maya A.; celebrity status; SHORT; good works]
[Maya RIP - Maya Angelou (April 11,1928-May 28,2014) ]
PH paid tribute recently to a famed poet, Maya Angelou, on her death.
I WON'T suggest they do likewise, after I take....'my last breath',
but, heck, who gets to decide who is honored for their honest toil ….
when at last her or his earthly body …..is returned to earthly soil?
I guess people thus honored are celebrities and/or have done good works.
Ellias Anderson says: 'We are our own celebrities.' But I know some celebs …..are jerks.
I'm not now and may never be a celebrity, as was Maya Angelou,
but I know in my life I've done good works, if not a lot, at least a few.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
i believe i saw her on TV once, reciting one of her poems during a presidential inauguration ceremony; could it have been kennedy's? ? my wife thought maybe clinton. so i've googled the question.........robert frost was the first poet to read a poem at a u.s. presidential inauguration (kennedy,1961) , while Maya Angelou became the second to do so (clinton,1993) .
anyway, my poem, obviously, is not a tribute to anyone, but i give Maya her due.
Comments about this poem (Unheralded Poet.... [POETS; Maya A.; celebrity status; SHORT; good works] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Somewhere in time, Mark Heathcote
- The wind brings warning, xeno drone
- My nature is to write, gajanan mishra
- Two Rings, Shannon Paterson
- Dreams Incarnate, Dylan Engelbrecht
- The Rose, Neela Nath
- No one to question, hasmukh amathalal
- She does, hasmukh amathalal
- Multi-dimensional; heavens?, Mark Heathcote
- Watch, ramesh rai
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)