What is truth?
Is it what’s wrong
And what’s right?
As clearly defined
As dark is from light?
Nay! Tis but one’s opinions
One’s heartfelt, sincere belief
That to one brings happiness,
While to another
Brings but grief.
Evil to one
Is goodness to another
The difference is in
The mind of the beholder
Truth is a lie…
As seen by my eye
That’s the truth
(tho’ I truly could be mistaken)
I believe as I grow older.
What’s right? What’s wrong?
What’s bad? What’s good?
What’s weak? What’s strong?
I’d tell you if I could.
Truth is no more than mist
And lies no more than sighs
Both fall prey to turns and twists
Borne on whispers and cries
But in truth and forsooth,
I’d be lying If I said that I knew.
For whatever one believes
(to that person)
…Is the truth…
David Whalen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Truth by David Whalen )
- The Lamentation Of David Over Saul And J.., George Wither
- Thine am I, my faithful Fair, Robert Burns
- The Gowden Locks of Anna, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The Toad-eater, Robert Burns
- Second Epistle to Robert Graham, Esq., o.., Robert Burns
- Crazy Cotton Limerick, Philo Yan
- The Calf, Robert Burns
- The Sometime Sportsman Greets the Spring, John Updike
- In The Shadow of Darkness, Adeosun Pelumi
- Mally's meek, Mally's sweet, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Naming of Parts, Henry Reed
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns