What is truth?
Is it what’s wrong
And what’s right?
As clearly defined
As dark is from light?
Nay! Tis but one’s opinions
One’s heartfelt, sincere belief
That to one brings happiness,
While to another
Brings but grief.
Evil to one
Is goodness to another
The difference is in
The mind of the beholder
Truth is a lie…
As seen by my eye
That’s the truth
(tho’ I truly could be mistaken)
I believe as I grow older.
What’s right? What’s wrong?
What’s bad? What’s good?
What’s weak? What’s strong?
I’d tell you if I could.
Truth is no more than mist
And lies no more than sighs
Both fall prey to turns and twists
Borne on whispers and cries
But in truth and forsooth,
I’d be lying If I said that I knew.
For whatever one believes
(to that person)
…Is the truth…
David Whalen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Truth by David Whalen )
- Your works can't stand up, Brian Kilpatrick
- neverending, Steven Federle
- WHO IS HE?, Ali Faisal
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ동대문오피녀 ⓑ선릉오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- L.Messi 오피뷰 동대문오피 KTwiz 선릉오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM.., sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- L.Messi 오피뷰 강서오피 KTwiz 부산오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ강서오피녀 ⓑ부산오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- for a friend who had gone cold one summer, RIC S. BASTASA
- a journey away from words, RIC S. BASTASA
Poem of the Day
- Ur Turn Now?, Najma Mire
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)