What is truth?
Is it what’s wrong
And what’s right?
As clearly defined
As dark is from light?
Nay! Tis but one’s opinions
One’s heartfelt, sincere belief
That to one brings happiness,
While to another
Brings but grief.
Evil to one
Is goodness to another
The difference is in
The mind of the beholder
Truth is a lie…
As seen by my eye
That’s the truth
(tho’ I truly could be mistaken)
I believe as I grow older.
What’s right? What’s wrong?
What’s bad? What’s good?
What’s weak? What’s strong?
I’d tell you if I could.
Truth is no more than mist
And lies no more than sighs
Both fall prey to turns and twists
Borne on whispers and cries
But in truth and forsooth,
I’d be lying If I said that I knew.
For whatever one believes
(to that person)
…Is the truth…
David Whalen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Truth by David Whalen )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Francesca, Ezra Pound
Poem of the Day
- Puffed Up II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Shallum, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hey There (Don't You Stare) / The New A.., Joseph Archer
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI