Today... 'The God Who Comforts The Downcast'
Downcast and weary I turned to the Lord
receiving such great comfort from His word.
Lifting my despondency and despair
and comforting me with His loving care.
He embraced me in the strong arms of His love
and I found myself rising far above
the worries and cares that this world can bring
and this poor heart of mine began to sing.
Sang of His Salvation and love for me
and how He gave His life to set me free.
For He took me out of the miry clay
and sent me rejoicing upon my way
Roy Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
For when we came into Macedonia, we had no rest, but we were harassed at every turn—conflicts on the outside, fears within. But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.
(see also the additional information in the Poet's notes box below)
All quotations ©NIV
The Bible calls You by many names
each one giving a glimpse of Your glory.
Like a cut diamond radiating in the sun
with every facet depicting a glorious
aspect of Your Divine Nature.
Today I have thought of You as
'The God who comforts the downcast'
Comments about this poem (Today... 'The God Who Comforts The Downcast' by Roy Allen )
- Yours Desire for High Sky, Aftab Alam
- Oh, The Cautious Heart, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Torrential Downpour, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- bo-tox, lee fones
- Music The Heart's Harp Sings, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Opposite Worlds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Demain, Randy Resh
- A disease......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Your Loving Words, Michael McParland
- Culture Of West Bengal, Asit Kumar Sanyal
Poem of the Day
- Unity is Strength, S.D. TIWARI
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Wait, Galway Kinnell
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1927)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)