Percy Bysshe Shelley
Oh! there are spirits of the air,
And genii of the evening breeze,
And gentle ghosts, with eyes as fair
As star-beams among twilight trees:
Such lovely ministers to meet
Oft hast thou turned from men thy lonely feet.
With mountain winds, and babbling springs,
And moonlight seas, that are the voice
Of these inexplicable things,
Thou dost hold commune, and rejoice
When they did answer thee, but they
Cast, like a worthless boon, thy love away.
And thou hast sought in starry eyes
Beams that were never meant for thine,
Another's wealth: tame sacrifice
To a fond faith ! still dost thou pine?
Still dost thou hope that greeting hands,
Voice, looks, or lips, may answer thy demands?
Ah! wherefore didst thou build thine hope
On the false earth's inconstancy?
Did thine own mind afford no scope
Of love, or moving thoughts to thee?
That natural scenes or human smiles
Could steal the power to wind thee in their wiles?
Yes, all the faithless smiles are fled
Whose falsehood left thee broken-hearted;
The glory of the moon is dead;
Night's ghosts and dreams have now departed;
Thine own soul still is true to thee,
But changed to a foul fiend through misery.
This fiend, whose ghastly presence ever
Beside thee like thy shadow hangs,
Dream not to chase: the mad endeavour
Would scourge thee to severer pangs.
Be as thou art. Thy settled fate,
Dark as it is, all change would aggravate.
Percy Bysshe Shelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Coleridge by Percy Bysshe Shelley )
Did you read them?
- The Nigerian Politician, Joseph Ogbonna
- The lonely sun..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Textman, Naveed Khalid
- सिरि मोनथाम, Ronjoy Brahma
- Mother-land I weep for thee, Joseph Ogbonna
- Mother Teresa and I, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- Still Here, silenced work
- A Village Girl, Naveed Khalid
- A Song Of Harp, Naveed Khalid
- An African Woman I am... a Blessing or a.., Vivian Muciri
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)