Draw a few straight lines
Connecting them around
The bends that they should
Make. Do you have an ant?
A fish? A man or woman?
Or is it life that we see
In the shades of color, in
Straight lines bent awry
To form the magic that
We call life among us?
A fishing pole cannot
Work without the line
And lure giving way
To the current. Every
Bending thing adds
Beauty to life, like a
Dancer gracefully bent
Over as she begins to
Live across the stage,
All with a bending motion.
Nothing could be so hard
As to live a rigid life. Even the
Obstinate icebergs give way,
Curving into the sea of life
As cold as the ice itself.
The trees do not argue
Against the wind. Only
Mountains try it, and then
They crumble to dust. Clouds
Flow. Water flows. I flow too.
Wherever I go, I flow, but
The wind won’t blow me away.
I’m still fixed to one point.
I am the kite string.
I am the sky. I am.
Justin Houseman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Be by Justin Houseman )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Not His Cartoons, Prof Niamat Ali Murtazai
- what is a compliment, lee fones
- our Archie, our one eyed parrot, lee fones
- Thesaurus, lee fones
- Who Says India Is Not Secular? Do Not Mi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Loneliness, Muhammad Shafi Lone
- India-centric Statement, Bijay Kant Dubey
- All The Time Minorityism Is Not Good At .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Modern Indian English Poetess In The G.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Funeral March, RoseAnn V. Shawiak