Draw a few straight lines
Connecting them around
The bends that they should
Make. Do you have an ant?
A fish? A man or woman?
Or is it life that we see
In the shades of color, in
Straight lines bent awry
To form the magic that
We call life among us?
A fishing pole cannot
Work without the line
And lure giving way
To the current. Every
Bending thing adds
Beauty to life, like a
Dancer gracefully bent
Over as she begins to
Live across the stage,
All with a bending motion.
Nothing could be so hard
As to live a rigid life. Even the
Obstinate icebergs give way,
Curving into the sea of life
As cold as the ice itself.
The trees do not argue
Against the wind. Only
Mountains try it, and then
They crumble to dust. Clouds
Flow. Water flows. I flow too.
Wherever I go, I flow, but
The wind won’t blow me away.
I’m still fixed to one point.
I am the kite string.
I am the sky. I am.
Justin Houseman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Be by Justin Houseman )
- How Do You?, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- My religion, gajanan mishra
- Self-centered, Somanathan Iyer
- Human Male, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- strange is the mindset!, Somanathan Iyer
- DREAMS........., Saturday Chikezie Promise
- For My Love, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- On pins and needles, gajanan mishra
- Soul's Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Images Of Thought, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Prayer Before Birth, Louis Macneice
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)