TIME FOR TEA
"Hi! " said the Ancestors
knocking on my door.
They were late by a couple of
thousand years or more/
"We're no one
that you know
we're from the long long ago! "
They spoke in a voice
made of silence.
"We made you up
(so to speak)
and we just thought we would
come & see you for ourselves! "
One had a singing bird
trapped in her chest
(just like my mother)
an other had an exploding
(just like the Da) .
Some were pure myth
through & true.
Some untouched by time.
They were made up
of all the bits & pieces
of the "me"
recognised as "I"
So this is how
I had come to be
"Sit down! " I said.
"I'll put on the tea."
Dónall Dempsey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (TIME FOR TEA by Dónall Dempsey )
- Radha's Gaze, Uma nair
- provincial country, ademola oluwabusayo
- Winter in Sephora, Akash Justin Ovian
- Hopeless on Ice, Akash Justin Ovian
- Dance of the Bodhisattva, Akash Justin Ovian
- Questions, Tondana Fatimah Seebaway
- reflection, lee fones
- AN ODE TO AUTUMN, Dr. Yogesh Sharma
- Remote Control War, Wensislaus Mbirimi
- African Voter?, Gedion Onyango
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Blackberry-Picking, Seamus Heaney
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)