Those Border Niños Would Go Home, Too
The gossip started years ago
and ruined lives, burned everyone.
No one ever tried to stop it.
This Russian couple came to town
and carved a life from land
they had never seen.
They could have moved years ago
since money's not a problem.
The husband is an engineer,
the wife a psychotherapist.
Neighbors never speak to them,
never have, never will.
At the festival that summer,
the couple tried to meet neighbors
and struck an iceberg.
Elmo at the Dew Drop Inn recalls
'they liked hot dogs topped with kraut'
but 'they had heavy accents.'
Now Elmo and the neighbors swear
if they had sent the Russians packing,
those border niños would go home, too.
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Those Border Niños Would Go Home, Too by Donal Mahoney )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel
- Story of snow., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- She Wanted, Spiritwind Wood
- When love was born, Lehlohonolo Selai
- There is a Configuration of the Universe, michael walkerjohn