Thiruvalluvar's Couplets on 'Friendship'
781. Friendship is the best to make of all human relationships.
It is the exceptional bulwark against the deeds of foes.
782. Friendship with the wise waxes like the new moon.
That with the fools like the full moon wanes soon.
783. Reading a classic more and more feeds you with bliss
as nourishing friendship with the noble does.
784. Friendship is not alone to share the joys
but also to admonish and amend when a friend gets out of line.
785. To make friendship, meeting and moving with one is not a need.
Having similar mindset gives the right to ensure it.
786. It isn’t friendship to keep the face in wreathed smiles.
It is being genial and heartily glad.
787. To bring a friend back to ways of virtue from evil, and if
disaster strikes, suffer along with him, is true friendship.
788. As the rushing hand to stop the dropping dress,
good friendship succours and wipes out the coming misery.
789. The excellent state of good friendship is not to waver
but when possible, to support, succour and bear his burden.
790. It is mean friendship to blazon forth brazenly,
the things of worth, both of you bearing on each other.
rajendran muthiah's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thiruvalluvar's Couplets on 'Friendship' by rajendran muthiah )
- Our Two souls connected in that moment s.., Erato
- Faithful, Forgiving & Kind., Tom Zart
- A Striking Woman, Naveed Akram
- A bird on the roof, Slim Jay
- It's Every thing, Cee Bea
- A good teacher, Slim Jay
- The Constant., Tony Adah
- The Enemy Behind Me, Slim Jay
- Religion's Devils, Naveed Akram
- My Son Ali, kassem oude
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)