Things I Did For You
You said you loved music, so I spent my money on CDs, stole my dad’s guitar and brought up Pure Prairie League every chance I got. I scribbled lyrics on my fingers, and concert dates on my mirror.
You said you loved America, so I hummed the National Anthem, wrapped my hair in a striped bandana and learned to see my backyard as a privilege. I told people I was Republican, and refused to get on a plane.
You said you loved art, so I practiced gasping at Monet, considered getting a tattoo, and kept a sketchbook in my purse. I learned when to say “Impressionism, ” and filled my vase with paintbrushes.
You said you loved Jesus, so I buttoned my shirt to the neck, stopped drinking so much and squeezed your hand during the sermon. I remembered to say “gosh, ” and threaded a cross onto my necklace.
You said you loved me, so I wore pink, tried to smile more and kept repeating that I loved you too.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Things I Did For You by Abby Kloppenburg )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Play The Game, Jessie Pope
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Short and Sweet, Brittany Veloso
- PH: Echo: True Love, Brian Johnston
- Snow Blind..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Nostalgia, Rimni chakravarty
- The Spirit-World, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Blinded by stress, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Of Fauns Of Satyrs, Emmanuel George Cefai
- The next activity, Emmanuel George Cefai
- As aged I, Emmanuel George Cefai
- true friend, Rani Jain