Things I Did For You
You said you loved music, so I spent my money on CDs, stole my dad’s guitar and brought up Pure Prairie League every chance I got. I scribbled lyrics on my fingers, and concert dates on my mirror.
You said you loved America, so I hummed the National Anthem, wrapped my hair in a striped bandana and learned to see my backyard as a privilege. I told people I was Republican, and refused to get on a plane.
You said you loved art, so I practiced gasping at Monet, considered getting a tattoo, and kept a sketchbook in my purse. I learned when to say “Impressionism, ” and filled my vase with paintbrushes.
You said you loved Jesus, so I buttoned my shirt to the neck, stopped drinking so much and squeezed your hand during the sermon. I remembered to say “gosh, ” and threaded a cross onto my necklace.
You said you loved me, so I wore pink, tried to smile more and kept repeating that I loved you too.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Things I Did For You by Abby Kloppenburg )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands
- You are born to be a poet, ramesh rai
- Beautiful flower, gajanan mishra
- A Fool, crystal ruth
- The Game, douglas scotney