These Summer Nights Make Me Shiver
I know you miss me in your private ways
like holding onto an extra pillow during sleep
if you sleep
if you ly there, legs extended - giving up a
good position to retaliate.
My nights are awful, just like yours.
My head is one explosion that never stops-
it continues blowing up- shrapnel sputtering
out of control
slicing every memory I have of you- parts of you bleeding
The cricket, the one that stays by my window
keeps telling the same story over and over, and
I can't get through to that bastard.... you are gone.
It's not as though I had you to begin with.
My ass was stuck to a truck bed and yours was in the kitchen
standing in a corner by the bar- contemplating on
what to make for dinner.
Though you were never mine, I still call you that.
Maybe I'm going insane in a sort of normal way
Like a soldier in a field talking to his comrade
after they have died
and nobody has claimed them.
I don't need tags to remember you by. I don't need your
poetry firing rounds inside my head. I'm a blessed man
who has a lot of growing up to do, a lot of letting go
in a short amount of time.
David R.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (These Summer Nights Make Me Shiver by David R. )
- God's Kind Of Poetry, Brian Johnston
- soon. chapter 3., Mandolyn ...
- soon. chapter 2, Mandolyn ...
- Through A Puppet's Eyes, Dilantha Gunawardana
- soon., Mandolyn ...
- Dragon King Daughter, Tim caffery
- LONE LADY, vidyut chakraborty
- Psalm 070, Forrest Hainline
- What is said in autobiography, gajanan mishra
- The weird erotica, Marcel Aouizerate
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Dream Keeper, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)