There Is No New Song
If this world were scarce new save what was there,
Things born eons ere, failing to survive,
Whose vestiges the soul for long does bear,
Gross getting graved, subtle back to arrive,
We often wonder how brains get beguiled,
Struggling, inventing what duly dwells
In someone’s dreams, minds musing like a child,
But which in mundane logic never gels;
And since the universe seems to be round,
Since things return must to where they ere were,
Infinity1 as apt is to surround,
The vast2 and void the same one spot does share.
Man seems to be the child of his old chime,
A new song sings with same refrain, same rhyme.
1. Infinity: If infinity moves in a circular motion as the universe
implies, it has one day to come back to where it started, i.e.
its origin which is zero or void.
2. Vast: In Sanskrit often referred to as Viraat.
This sonnet appears to sing somewhat flippant and yet ponderous
tune. The idiom used might also seem too light while talking still
of metaphysical and Para psychological subjects like rebirth and
recurrence; a serious stuff indeed.
Sure indeed, there is no new song! I had penned a poem of this
theme, and then I happened to read Shakespeare’s Sonnet 59,
and made a few changes to cast it as a sonnet. Yes, I was inspired
by the bard. It has the same soul but body contents are different.
- Sonnets | 07.10.08 |
Aniruddha Pathak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (There Is No New Song by Aniruddha Pathak )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- change, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- khuda, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- lachari, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- flower, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- hasrat, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- moti, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- Real Help, Edgar Albert Guest
- Onverflauwd groen en blauw-wit, Madrason writer
- गुलाब और सूरज, Ashutosh ramnarayan Prasad K ..
- misfortune, oskar hansen