The Wedding Band
The girl smiled and said: What
is the secret of this gold ring,
the secret of this ring that so tightly
embraces my finger,
the secret of this band
that sparkles and shines so?
the man was startled and said:
it's the ring of good fortune, the ring of life.
Everyone said: Congratulations and best wishes!
the girl said: Alas
that I still have doubts about its meaning.
The years passed, and one night
a downhearted woman looked at that gold band
and saw in its gleaming pattern
days wasted in hopes of husbandly fidelity,
days totally wasted.
The woman grew agitated and cried out:
O my, this ring that
still sparkles and shines
is the band of slavery and servitude.
Forough Farrokhzad's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wedding Band by Forough Farrokhzad )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Mystery of poem, gajanan mishra
- Dramatization, Kewayne Wadley
- The Maddening Dance, Tony Adah
- Alternative Prayer, Phil Soar
- I appear, gajanan mishra
- Young Wife's Longing, Paul Sebastian
- Ants Crawling, Naveed Akram
- applying online, lee fones
- Stay not away, gajanan mishra
- Ah! Little Woodlouse - Are You Unreal?, Brian P FitzGerald