The Wedding Band
The girl smiled and said: What
is the secret of this gold ring,
the secret of this ring that so tightly
embraces my finger,
the secret of this band
that sparkles and shines so?
the man was startled and said:
it's the ring of good fortune, the ring of life.
Everyone said: Congratulations and best wishes!
the girl said: Alas
that I still have doubts about its meaning.
The years passed, and one night
a downhearted woman looked at that gold band
and saw in its gleaming pattern
days wasted in hopes of husbandly fidelity,
days totally wasted.
The woman grew agitated and cried out:
O my, this ring that
still sparkles and shines
is the band of slavery and servitude.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Wedding Band by Forough Farrokhzad )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(2 July 1923 – 1 February 2012)
Winifred Emma May
(1907 - 1990)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fairytale, Apolynn Lagaras
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Christmas - Christmas, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Cage, Sarvesh wahie
- You Keep The Sea, Naveed Akram
- There's nothing like dance, Yisel Chong
- No One Could Ever Understand, Thabang Rakimane
- You made me evil, Yisel Chong
- The time machine, Yisel Chong
- Blue-eyed boy Mr. Death for e.e. cummings, r james sterzinger
- Salvation Jane, vince gullaci
- A Girl Called Memory, Mashewa1 Nthele