The Soused Bear
The soused bear sat on a ledge mid-river.
the cold, green waves frothed around the rock.
squat on the ledge, its legs formed a wet, furry V.
salmon shot about it like drones from below.
the bear's jaws were lined with yellow, sharp teeth.
the bear's open jaws led backwards towards its gullet.
fish aimed for its jaws, but most of them missed.
them that missed fell soundlessly back in the river.
a few reached its jaws and slid down its gullet.
the few that made it turned themselves into bear fat.
the bear was blasse when the salmon missed their mark.
the bear was pleased when the salmon reached their goal.
the salmon bred, the bear got fed- simple as that.
the fish were thrilled, the river, rocks and sky.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Soused Bear by Morgan Michaels )
- no blue/no green, delilah contrapunctal.... ye ..
- leave, Vanessa Parodia
- Two Books For Each Person, Is It Poetry
- Moment, Vanessa Parodia
- The Broken Heart, kashif khan
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
- The Peasant, kashif khan
- Insanity Of Control, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
George Gordon Byron
(22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)